Brew going sour..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brew going sour..

Folks, we need help to uncover what we're doing wrong.
    We have a facility that cans a natural ethnic brew that's sweet but with a high yeast content. Usually, we fill into cans,seam and seal the cans after CO2-purging the cans, then we pasteurize the sealed cans in a tunnel pasteurizer.
    We've done this for 2-3years without incidents, but lately, we find the drink is sour to taste when you open a can say 2 months later!! Usual shelf life was 6-8mths .
    What are we doing wrong that's causing the brew to go rancid? Please assist as we have stopped production to troubleshoot and rectify.

I have heard of molds imparting an off flavor into can liners. Are your cans stored in a mold free environment? Also, have you performed any micro testing? Good luck!!

Comment

you talking about ethiopian malt beverage?

agree with FloorMalted above, you need to send it out for testing. see if there's a food lab in your area that does testing, find a batch that went sour, and pull a few unopened cans to send for testing. if you cant find a good local lab, maybe find the biggest brewery in your area and see if they have small lab and can do some limited testing for you. otherwise you can always ship your samples for testing at whitelabs in san diego. they also have location in ashville if that's closer to you. wyeast is a lab in colorado. these guys are all familiar with beer and the typical infections breweries see. but any food lab should be able to identify the culprit.

Comment

Originally posted by brain medicine View Post
        you talking about ethiopian malt beverage?

agree with FloorMalted above, you need to send it out for testing. see if there's a food lab in your area that does testing, find a batch that went sour, and pull a few unopened cans to send for testing. if you cant find a good local lab, maybe find the biggest brewery in your area and see if they have small lab and can do some limited testing for you. otherwise you can always ship your samples for testing at whitelabs in san diego. they also have location in ashville if that's closer to you. wyeast is a lab in colorado. these guys are all familiar with beer and the typical infections breweries see. but any food lab should be able to identify the culprit.

Many thanks to you, brethren for your insight. I have two centres in mind that I'll take samples to for testing and I would let you's know what gives.
        God bless.

Comment

Well off hand it sounds like contamination. The brew has been contaminated with some kind of wild bacteria or wild yeast that is causing this result. Either the yeast you are using is contaminated or experiencing autolysis. Or the brew is becoming contaminated along the way to its final can. I would test the yeast you use and see if there is contamination there. If there is no contamination in the yeast then all lines pumps and vessels that hold the brew including the canning machine needs to be cleaned flushed and sanitized.

Comment

Working...
          X