Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Made Brew System

Hi All!

I'm looking at different options for starting a 7BBL Brewery. The guys funding the operation are willing to spend the money if it is for quality equipment. I've so far looked at Portland Kettleworks and have liked everything I've seen and read. Their prices seem to be at the higher end, which is fine if its for solid equipment, but I was wondering where else I should be looking.

I've also looked at Premier (although I've been told their tanks are Chinese). I'm not totally ruling out foreign equipment, but I've heard enough bad things about overseas manufacturing that I would like to avoid it. I also think the premium for American Made would be worth it in my area (from both a demographic and maintenance standpoint).

I appreciate any input and have been enjoying all the amazing knowledge on this site.

Cheers!

brewery

Hi

We would like to quote on your system

we build systems in BC Canada

1-250-494-9310 ext 103

wayne@ripleystainless.com

Comment

The highest quality stuff is often American made, but don't assume that all American made equipment is the highest quality. I've heard some horror stories about tiny companies selling equipment with awful welds, poor design, and terrible customer service. Just a guy who knows how to weld with a big garage in Ohio.

Our equipment is made China but the company we bought it from has a warehouse in America where they do testing and final customization as well as make some of their own equipment, just not the tanks themselves. I've had really good luck with it, no complaints so far. We've only been brewing on it for about a year though.

Portland, JVNW, and Psycho Brew are three American made systems I can think of off the top of my head. I've heard great things about the first two, and haven't heard much at all about the first.

Comment

They definitely come highly recommended and their systems are basically cutting edge.

Comment

Heard some great things about Alpha brewing
          Mike Eme
          Brewmaster

Comment

There are very few companies that actually manufacture their tanks in the US. Most companies (Stout, Deutsche, Alpha, and many many more) have them made overseas and warehouse and/or assemble them here. Most of them are very vague about where their stuff is made.

Edited: Portland Kettle works is not imported. They reached out to me to kindly correct my previous statement.
            Last edited by RipRap; 08-09-2017, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I would recommend you talk to Bridgetown and or Practical Fusion. You will get a good American made system at a fair price.

www.bridgetownbrew.com

or

http://practicalfusion.com/
              Your CPE Systems Team!
              CPE Systems Inc.
              800-668-2268
              CPEsystems.com
              Thinkpumps.com
              sales@cpesystems.com

Comment

The base tanks for Premier Stainless Systems are made in China by one of the highest quality manufacturers. The entire brewhouse and all the process piping, control panels and ancillary equipment is built in their factory in Escondido CA. Companies like Stone and Ballast Point still choose Premier when selecting a system for their brew pubs. Ask them for a quote and check out the comments here and you will not be disappointed with both the equipment and support and service.

Comment

Pkw

Hey,
                  I've been sporting a 7bbl Portland Kettleworks system for two years now. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Engineering and construction is great. They know their stuff and really stand behind their products. We have a complete brewhouse and cellar from them.

By the way they build everything from the bottom up in their shop in Portland.

If you want to talk more about PKW feel free to shoot me an email Marius@graffbrygghus.no
                  Marius Graff,
                  Head Brewer, Graff Brygghus
                  Tromsø, Norway

Comment

I have worked on systems by JV Northwest, Specific Mechanical, Century, Saaz, Criveller, Santa Rosa, and probably a couple I don't remember... and I am as happy with my current Premier system as anything else I have used.

With Premier you get cost savings with some foreign built pieces, coupled with domestic customer service and support. While not always perfect (they can sometimes be difficult to get on the phone for instance), I have been generally quite happy with them and the service they provide.

As to North American hardware. While generally of exceptional quality, don't take it for a given that it will be, shit happens as they say. Received a North American made brite tank for a brewpub start-up, set it along with the others, etc., etc. First time it had beer in it it starts leaking from around the Perlick. The outer shell was not welded to the Perlick so there was a slight gap there. Obviously, behind the shell we couldn't see where the leak was coming from. The company sent a tech, he fiddled with it for a day or two, said it was good. Ok, well, no... it leaked again. Then the company refused to send someone back. We hired a local sanitary welder who worked on it for a couple days and it still leaked. Never could figure out what was wrong with it and it stayed empty until the pub closed.

Comment

Originally posted by RipRap View Post
                      There are very few companies that actually manufacture their tanks in the US. Most companies (Portland Kettleworks, Stout, Deutsche, Alpha, and many many more) have them made overseas and warehouse and/or assemble them here. Most of them are very vague about where their stuff is made.
                      I can't speak about the others, but Portland Kettle Works equipment is made in their shop in Oregon and they use USA made stainless steel. I've been there twice and have seen it firsthand.

I own a PKW 5BBL steam-heated brewhouse, four fermenters, and six brite tanks. All of it is top notch and has worked flawlessly since day one.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Don
                      Idyllwild Brewpub

Comment

Originally posted by Jason.ho
                        I don't know Portland Kettle Works before, but they really have work shop in Mexico and China. Maybe some equipments made is USA, some made in Mexico and some made in China.

They did open up a shop in Mexico not too long ago to serve the mexican market and allow them to build bigger tanks than what they can fit in their PDX shop. I have no idea how you are able to add China to the mix. At least I know that my entire brewhouse and cellar was built in Portland. I've been to their shop there twice.
                        Marius Graff,
                        Head Brewer, Graff Brygghus
                        Tromsø, Norway

Comment

Originally posted by Jason.ho
                          I don't know Portland Kettle Works before, but they really have work shop in Mexico and China. Maybe some equipments made is USA, some made in Mexico and some made in China.
                          I have worked with Portland Kettle Works (PKW) for over four years now. We have toured their manufacturing facility in Portland twice: once while our system was being built and then a couple years later at the CBC, and can vouch that they are made in the USA. I know the owner and many of the staff members that have been with them since the early days of the company and can tell you they do not have anything made in China. They have fantastic products that make great beer (got a bronze at the World Beer Cup on only our 13th batch of beer the first summer we were open!) and they have amazing customer support. I completely recommend them from our perspective.

Randy Schnose
                          Riff Raff Brewing Company

Comment

Originally posted by Deafcat View Post
                            http://cobrewingsystems.com/

They definitely come highly recommended and their systems are basically cutting edge.
                            Do you know anyone using this system? I split time between CO and NM. Looks like a great option for our small space, but it also seems like a whole new process to figure out.

Comment

Originally posted by portland kettleworks

2: Mexico Manufacturing:
                              I see that there are questions regarding our Mexico manufacturing plant in Querétaro Mexico (http://pkwequiposcerveceros.com). It is true that we have a production facility in Mexico, owned and operated entirely by PKW USA. Everyone likes to purchase locally, and by having a manufacturing plant dedicated to Central and South America we are better able to service this market.

In conclusion I do not want to sound combative, but it is always an uphill battle selling against Chinese importers with inferior product, but very low prices. We are very proud of the fact that we have in house, marketing, engineering, sales, manufacturing, technical support, and brewery instruction services. If anyone would like to dispute this fact, or has additional questions I would be happy to discuss over the phone, or even have you visit our shop. We have dozens of welders who would love to show off their work.

Joe Watzig
                              Portland Kettle Works
                              Joe@portlandkettleworks.com
                              503-314-7134

Don't be fooled. PKW may finish tanks in America but there are truckloads of half finished tanks and parts that make their way up from Mexico.

From Portland Kettle Works Facebook Page:
                              "It is amazing how dishonest some manufacturers can be.
                              There are some "Manufacturers" who only bolt equipment together and call it American.
                              We simply invite everyone to our shop to meet the welders in person."

PMcD

Comment

Working...
                              X