Plate Chiller Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plate Chiller Problem

Hey Guys! We are a small Nano and currently we have been using a Plate Chiller(we make 2bbl batches) to bring our wort down to pitchable temp in the fermenter. We had no issues getting the temp down from Late Fall/Mid Winter, but now that we've reached warm temps here in the Northeast I cant get my Wort temp Below 80 degrees with the ground water being so warm. We currently don't have a glycol system(I Know I Know its the first thing we are investing in once financially feesable) so I've been trying to figure out a way to get the wort down to pitchable temps. Ive lowered the plate chiller into an Ice Bucket and that didn't help. I have a cold room, so for now ive been putting the fermenters into the cold room to get down to pitchable temp, oxygenating and pitching from there. But I hate the lag time. Just wondering if anyone would have any ideas that would help. Thanks in advance!!

Cheers!

A second stage HX (duda diesel maybe) and cold liquor. Make your cold liquor in advance with ice directly (and store in the cold room), or via something like a jockey box if you have one, chilling your city water down. If you use a jockey box, remove the choker line--I don't think you'll need it here. Actually, you might be able to use a jockey box as a sort of second stage HX directly. Getting it from 80F to 68F shouldn't be too hard. But it might tend to cool the wort too much, so better to create cold liquor that you can throttle in a conventional plate chiller to achieve a target temp.

And start reading Craigslist daily until you find a small glycol unit cheap.

They make aquarium chillers in various sizes that might get you enough cold liquor, if you start it the day before a brew. I see these advertised used all the time, but a 1/10HP unit isn't going to do much. Look for 1/2 HP or more. I've always wanted to try one out for this.

Regards,
    Mike Sharp

Comment

Cold Liquor Tank?

I'm still in the planning phase,

How hot over 80* ?
      How large is the plate chiller?
      How long are you whirlpooling before you knockout?

What I would do is buy a plastic tank, fill that and put it in your cold room. Let the water get chilled, on brew day you now have nice cold water to knock out with.

Tank, pump, and fittings.... I'd guess would run about $300....

Comment

Originally posted by rdcpro View Post
        A second stage HX (duda diesel maybe) and cold liquor. Make your cold liquor in advance with ice directly (and store in the cold room), or via something like a jockey box if you have one, chilling your city water down. If you use a jockey box, remove the choker line--I don't think you'll need it here. Actually, you might be able to use a jockey box as a sort of second stage HX directly. Getting it from 80F to 68F shouldn't be too hard. But it might tend to cool the wort too much, so better to create cold liquor that you can throttle in a conventional plate chiller to achieve a target temp.

And start reading Craigslist daily until you find a small glycol unit cheap.

They make aquarium chillers in various sizes that might get you enough cold liquor, if you start it the day before a brew. I see these advertised used all the time, but a 1/10HP unit isn't going to do much. Look for 1/2 HP or more. I've always wanted to try one out for this.

Regards,
        Mike Sharp
        great suggestion on the Jockey box. that might be something I can work with in our space. Also I do have a tank I could use for a CLT. Good call on that as well!

Comment

Originally posted by nate_lapt View Post
          I'm still in the planning phase,

How hot over 80* ?
          How large is the plate chiller?
          How long are you whirlpooling before you knockout?

What I would do is buy a plastic tank, fill that and put it in your cold room. Let the water get chilled, on brew day you now have nice cold water to knock out with.

Tank, pump, and fittings.... I'd guess would run about $300....

Usually ends up around 84-86 degrees. Not sure on the size but its hefty, close to 50lbs. I whirlpool for anywhere from 15-30 minutes depending on the beer.

I actually do have a tank I could use as a cold liquor tank and I never thought of before today, so great suggestion!

Comment

Working...
          X