• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrtredo View Post
    I will taste the samples tonight, thanks for all your help
    Sure thing.

Comment

The wort stability sample that spoiled did not taste the same as the other spoiled beer I've tasted. Not sour, just...bad, still a little sweet. So it's seems maybe we have eliminated the bacteria, Is it likely the mold issue is airborne? We have removed the old kegerator and have run the ozonator for another 36 hours.

We will do another top to bottom cleaning of the brewery tonight, and I guess do another test batch with malt extract sunday or monday and see if we took care of the problem. New ferms are arriving monday

Comment

The wort stability sample that spoiled did not taste the same as the other spoiled beer I've tasted. Not sour, just...bad, still a little sweet. So it's seems maybe we have eliminated the bacteria, Is it likely the mold issue is airborne? We have removed the old kegerator and have run the ozonator for another 36 hours.

We will do another top to bottom cleaning of the brewery tonight, and I guess do another test batch with malt extract sunday or monday and see if we took care of the problem. New ferms are arriving monday
        Have you plated some boiled/sterile water? It could be your aseptic technique. I wouldn't really worry too much about it, for now at least. Worry about the bacteria on the surfaces that touch your beer before you start worrying about airborne issues.

Comment

No, will do that tonight. We did open a plate and left it to sit on a table in the brewery for 30 minutes, then closed and brought to my house, and it shows mold growth within 24 hours.

Originally posted by AT-JeffT View Post
          Have you plated some boiled/sterile water? It could be your aseptic technique. I wouldn't really worry too much about it, for now at least. Worry about the bacteria on the surfaces that touch your beer before you start worrying about airborne issues.

Comment

No, will do that tonight. We did open a plate and left it to sit on a table in the brewery for 30 minutes, then closed and brought to my house, and it shows mold growth within 24 hours.
            That's pretty normal for our environmental plates. Ideally that's not the case, but I assure you you can make clean beer even if your environmental plates are less than satisfactory.

Comment

+1

You will not be able to get rid of all the mold spores in your brewery. Period. Only a HEPA clean room with proper CFM air flow will be capable of that.

But as others have said, you don't need to. Mold will not spoil your beer. Only concern yourself with the slimy stuff (or other bacteria and yeasts).

Go to any brewery in a humid and hot climate, look under their CLT or CLT pump, you will find black mold (unless they cleaned it the day prior). It would show up every few days and we would foam our tanks often, scrub the walls, soak the drains and everything you could think of.

The results you have posted would put my concerns back to the plastic conicals, which I believe you said you replaced?

Wit & weizen yeasts can show positive on wild yeast plates as well, FYI.

You asked about PAA, I prefer it due to its method of attack (free oxygen), contact time requirements, temperature range, and environmental aspects.. I have successfully used Star-san, but since it foams you cannot ensure great contact. Sani-Clean is better if you like 5 Star.

Sanitizer is designed to treat clean surfaces only, so if your CIP methods are not sound, this would be an issue. Concentration levels also need to be higher for surfaces that are not "non-porous". Run a pH strip on your used caustic (or PBW) to ensure you still have enough strength at the end of your cycle. You want to see at least 10, but 11 or 12 is much better, remember its a logarithmic scale. With the PAA, I also use a PPM strip to check the concentration at the end of the cycle. Good piece of mind.

Hopefully you are not seeing bad beer now that you have changed your HX and FV's....Keep us posted!

Comment

Thanks, that is reassuring. Our new FV's should arrive today. We may do one more small extract test batch tonight before brewing this weekend. Will keep you posted!

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
                +1

You will not be able to get rid of all the mold spores in your brewery. Period. Only a HEPA clean room with proper CFM air flow will be capable of that.

But as others have said, you don't need to. Mold will not spoil your beer. Only concern yourself with the slimy stuff (or other bacteria and yeasts).

Go to any brewery in a humid and hot climate, look under their CLT or CLT pump, you will find black mold (unless they cleaned it the day prior). It would show up every few days and we would foam our tanks often, scrub the walls, soak the drains and everything you could think of.

The results you have posted would put my concerns back to the plastic conicals, which I believe you said you replaced?

Wit & weizen yeasts can show positive on wild yeast plates as well, FYI.

You asked about PAA, I prefer it due to its method of attack (free oxygen), contact time requirements, temperature range, and environmental aspects.. I have successfully used Star-san, but since it foams you cannot ensure great contact. Sani-Clean is better if you like 5 Star.

Sanitizer is designed to treat clean surfaces only, so if your CIP methods are not sound, this would be an issue. Concentration levels also need to be higher for surfaces that are not "non-porous". Run a pH strip on your used caustic (or PBW) to ensure you still have enough strength at the end of your cycle. You want to see at least 10, but 11 or 12 is much better, remember its a logarithmic scale. With the PAA, I also use a PPM strip to check the concentration at the end of the cycle. Good piece of mind.

Hopefully you are not seeing bad beer now that you have changed your HX and FV's....Keep us posted!

Comment

New fv's arrived, we brewed a batch of IPA 9/13, beer tastes good, plates were clean. Brewed another batch yesterday. Hopefully, the bad is behind us. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted out!

Sounds like it could have been scratches in the FV harboring contaminates.

Keep up a tight CIP-SOP and you shouldn't have any further issues.

Comment

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
                      Glad you got it sorted out!

Sounds like it could have been scratches in the FV harboring contaminates.

Keep up a tight CIP-SOP and you shouldn't have any further issues.
                      Yes, I think it originated in the HX, and then spread to scratches in fv's that couldn't be removed.
                      Our cleaning and sanitization mindset with cleaning SOP's has gone from too lax to very regimented, I guess this was probably a blessing in disguise, much better to have had this happen now, rather than a few months into full production....

Comment

Yes, I think it originated in the HX, and then spread to scratches in fv's that couldn't be removed.
                        Our cleaning and sanitization mindset with cleaning SOP's has gone from too lax to very regimented, I guess this was probably a blessing in disguise, much better to have had this happen now, rather than a few months into full production....
                        Glad to hear you now have some good cleaning procedures in place. Also, you now know how to test them when in doubt.

Happy to help and glad we were able to get it taken care of.

Comment

Working...
                        X