Thread: Software pro's and con's

Software pro's and con's

Anyone using any software that they hate or love? I'm in the planning stages and it seems like some version of QB and Excel will get the job done at this scale. Any suggestions on which version of QB to start with?

EKOS from day one, do yourself a favor and just do it.

wow, their website really doesn't go into much detail. Do I use QB with this? What version of QB is best with EKOS? What's the price tag? Is it a POS system too? Do you think it would be overkill given that I plan to do 90% of my sales in our tasting room?
    thanks

I'm using TouchBistro in my tasting room and couldn't be happier. Very robust and flexible. Allows for on-the-fly menu additions and adjustments as well as on-line, real-time reporting. It does sales, inventory tracking, time clocking, labor management, can be linked to QB, to name a few of it'S attributes.
    On the production side, I use the OpenOffice suite (office/brewhouse forms), Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator (marketing/promotional materials & label design), Spotify (brewhouse jams), & ProMash.

Prost!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    glacierbrewing@bresnan.net

"who said what now?"

Quote Originally Posted by GlacierBrewing View Post
    I'm using TouchBistro in my tasting room and couldn't be happier. Very robust and flexible. Allows for on-the-fly menu additions and adjustments as well as on-line, real-time reporting. It does sales, inventory tracking, time clocking, labor management, can be linked to QB, to name a few of it'S attributes.
    On the production side, I use the OpenOffice suite (office/brewhouse forms), Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator (marketing/promotional materials & label design), Spotify (brewhouse jams), & ProMash.

Prost!
    Dave
    Cool, thanks for the info. Have you ever tried BeerSmith? Do you have an opinion of BeerSmith vs ProMash?

Beersmith VS Promash

I would also like to know if anyone has experience with both of these and can provide their insight. I've used Beersmith for years on the home-brew scale, and would consider switching to ProMash if it addressed the many things I absolutely hate about beersmith. No offense beersmith - it's an amazing program... but you know... it's easy to find things that I would "prefer" be a certain way.
    Ryan
    Viridian Brewing Company
    [Brewery-In-Planning]

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I would also like to know if anyone has experience with both of these and can provide their insight. I've used Beersmith for years on the home-brew scale, and would consider switching to ProMash if it addressed the many things I absolutely hate about beersmith. No offense beersmith - it's an amazing program... but you know... it's easy to find things that I would "prefer" be a certain way.
    As far as I know, Promash isn't available any more. I still use it myself for small scale stuff, because I'm familiar with it. But I don't think you can even purchase it any more.

Regards,
    Mike Sharp

I use both Promash and Beersmith.

Promash is fine for basic stuff, the interface is horrible but it works. I use it for old legacy recipes by my predecessor (because that's what he used).

Beersmith has more features and is IMHO easier to use. I use Beersmith for my new recipes.

I was just hired into a brewery that uses Ekos, and honestly, I would find another program if I could. It does have some convenience in terms of setting up recipes, inventory, tank movement and financials. Not completely user friendly if you make a mistake or make changes on the fly though, it'll screw up your inventory and costs. Just something to consider. I don't know if it's better to have all those parameters set or to calculate on the back end.

Quote Originally Posted by GlacierBrewing View Post

Prost!
    Dave
    Sounds like touch bistro is a good way to go.