TRUE cost Reusing yeast vs pitching 0 Gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRUE cost Reusing yeast vs pitching 0 Gen

New brewery start up and we're trying to nail down our processes. Figure out where its worth investing time and energy vs where its worth buying net new. Some context. We're two guys with day jobs so our time is limited. No brewing employees (yet). One of the major questions we toss around is the trust cost (in time and money) of investing in a yeast brink, washing out yeast to reuse. Im sure just like anything else there are a million ways to split this question up. And honestly if it comes down to "just too similar of a cost/overhead" we're probably just pitch net new. However i'd love to hear thoughts on this.

Some facts:
    * Again pretty new brewery, our demand has definitely NOT over run our capacity
    * Two guys, little time and bless enough to have a decent cash flow.
    * While i've washed yeast dozens of times at a home brew level, holding yeast at a 15 gallon level and keeping it viable, healthy and used in the correct time has us worried we may just lose our shirts on a batch where we did something wrong with the yeast vs pitching new.
    * 7 barrel minimum and 15 barrel max per batch
    * We use maybe 7 different yeasts but trying to consolidate that down to 5

Side note, if anyone has some good literature on starting up a new brewhaus and all the gotchas at a technical level i'd love to see it.

Cheers

Dry yeast

Look, to be honest, you will not be able to manage 7 or even 5 strains of yeast unless they are dry. You don't want to wash on a commercial scale. Your risk of contamination and lowering viability is too high. Go ask Oak Highlands (if your Royse City is in the Lone Star State) for practical experience handling 5 strains - its a bitch unless you have a lot of conicals. My suggestion would be to still use a brink for yeast hydration and pitching, as it is the most sanitary.

You should ideally be reusing your yeast within 3 days, but never over two weeks. You would be better off trying to propagate smaller pitches more often, over trying to feed and keep healthy yeast beyond two weeks. Both of those are difficult for a new professional to do properly. Get a Microscope and Hemocytometer.

If you can get five uses out of your yeast, then liquid. If not, stay dry. JMHO.

In full disclosure I've worked for White Labs, OHB, & TAP, among others. Ask those in the industry....they are friendly and know more than you do. I favor liquid yeast every time, but practicality out weighs preferences, especially when starting.

Home is Rowlett, so you better do a good job....you have 8 months before I get back to check your progress!

Comment

At the level you're talking about trying to maintain that many strains would be ridiculous. Go with dry. Fermentis/LaSaffe has some great products and people have made many award winning beers with them.

Comment

Solid info folks thanks very much!

Comment

Just wondering, after 1.5 years, how many yeast strains are you at now, are you using dry or liquid?

Comment

Working...
          X