Thread: Lactose (milk sugar) quantity

Lactose (milk sugar) quantity

Hi,
    I have a question regarding the amount of lactose (milk sugar) to use in a batch.

I've recently made a test batch for imperial stout and I ended up with 12 liters (about 3 gal) of wort. In this test batch I've used 350 grams (about 12oz) of lactose in the kettle.
    Now I would like to brew the same beer in a 10HL (264 gallons) scale brewery. If I scale it up, I have to use 29 kg (about 64 lbs) of lactose for 1000 liters (264 gallons).

64 lbs sounds me a lot of lactose for 264 gal of beer. What do you think? Any suggestion about a better scale up?
    Maybe it's correct, but since I've never used lactose in a big scale brew I'm a bit scared to overdo it.

Thank you for your suggestions!

I use 50# in 14 bbl and thats sweet enough for me. Its a lighter beer so your stout could probably use a bit more
    Mike Eme
    Brewmaster
    Cheboygan Brewery
    Cheboygan Michigan

Like scaling up anything, you'll have to experiment. I use 50# in a 14 bbl batch as well, and that gives me the flavors I want. But I agree with Mike, you may want to up it a bit if you're trying to maintain ratios, that'll give you a place to start.

Hi guys,
    thank you for your reply. What do you mean with 50# of milk sugar? 50 lbs? I'm not used to American units.

Just to simplify it a bit:

What I've used in my test batch is 0,77 lbs milk sugar in 0,1 bbl of wort => 7,7 lbs/bbl of milk sugar.
    Since I want to up scale it to 8,5 bbl of wort, I should use 65,4 lbs of milk sugar to maintain the ratio of 7,7 lbs/bbl.

Does it sound 65,4 lbs milk sugar too much in 8,5 bbl of wort?
    Last edited by Paluppo; 08-09-2017 at 01:57 AM.

Thats about double what we use. We both use about 3.5# per bbl
    Mike Eme
    Brewmaster
    Cheboygan Brewery
    Cheboygan Michigan

do a titration- Use a similar stout and add varying amounts of lactose until you get to the sweetness you like. I have used 50lbs in 10 bbls, depends on the taste you are going for.
    Brewmaster, Fitger's Brewhouse
    tbriggs@justtakeaction.com
    "Your results may vary"