Keg Quality - is there really that much difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keg Quality - is there really that much difference

We're maybe halfway through our build-out (3bbl brew house) so we're starting to think about our initial keg purchase. We're planning on selling 90-99% of our beer in-house so they'll for the most part be handled well. I notice most the keg suppliers like to tout the quality of their kegs but is there really much difference from one company or one country of origin to another?

Also, are there any recommended suppliers in or close to Wisconsin (hoping to save freight charges by picking them up myself). There used to be one in Green Bay (C&C I think) but I believe they got bought out.

I've bought from Ambrach mainly because they have a warehouse in Naperville, IL. (2-1/2ish hour drive from New Glarus area). The quality is good and the prices were slightly better than some of the others. Easy to drive down and bring a pickup truck load back.

Where exactly are you located? I am in Monroe.

Comment

Originally posted by fatback View Post
      I've bought from Ambrach mainly because they have a warehouse in Naperville, IL. (2-1/2ish hour drive from New Glarus area). The quality is good and the prices were slightly better than some of the others. Easy to drive down and bring a pickup truck load back.

Where exactly are you located? I am in Monroe.
      Our brewery will be in Manitowish Waters but we currently live in NG. Will hopefully be moving up there full-time soon (hard to get work done on the build-out when you live 4.5 hours away!)

Are you the guy from the new place off the square ( Bullquarian) Fatback?

Comment

Yes. Bullquarian. Best of luck!

Comment

Move a few thousand and you will see the differences

Originally posted by somenerve View Post
          We're maybe halfway through our build-out (3bbl brew house) so we're starting to think about our initial keg purchase. We're planning on selling 90-99% of our beer in-house so they'll for the most part be handled well. I notice most the keg suppliers like to tout the quality of their kegs but is there really much difference from one company or one country of origin to another?

Also, are there any recommended suppliers in or close to Wisconsin (hoping to save freight charges by picking them up myself). There used to be one in Green Bay (C&C I think) but I believe they got bought out.
          Personally, I was a big fan of Geemacher or Franke.

There is a difference in the actual handles, chines, weld qualities, stems, and thickness of steel. I like Franke handles, then tend not to cut in my hands as much, seem to withstand drops better, and they're just prettier. They are a bit heavier though.

I have had Chinese kegs with screw in spears that would leak after many tappings/un-tappings. They would have to be checked every round of cleaning. Also they dented much easier. a few tended to leak gas around the rubber seals too. They did stack nice though.

At your size, I wouldn't be too concerned. Use a reputable manufacturer and you will be just fine.

Comment

We own our cooperage but due to distro we are going to sell them. We have about 100 kegs, most stackable. Loved having our own kegs. If interested let me know.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
            Cesar Marron
            Founder/Head Brewer
            Sketchbook Brewing Co
            Evanston, IL

Comment

Originally posted by cmarron View Post
              We own our cooperage but due to distro we are going to sell them. We have about 100 kegs, most stackable. Loved having our own kegs. If interested let me know.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
              I will PM you!

Comment

Working...
              X