Questions relating to conditioining green beer ale and lager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions relating to conditioining green beer ale and lager

(I) I would like help in arranging the following post primary fermentation processes in the theoretically correct order separately for ALES and separately for LAGERS as far as commercial beer production is concerned.

- Di-acetyl rest
    - Secondary fermentation
    - Lagering
    - Use of fining agents
    - Racking
    - Cold crashing (if commercially practiced)
    - Cold stabilization (to prevent chill hazing)
    - Centrifuging
    - Filtration (thru sheet pad or kieselguhr filters)
    - Carbonation
    - Krausening
    - Dry hopping
    - Pasteurization
    - Bottling & labelling/canning/casking
    - Anything i missed out

(2) Is conditioning and maturing the same?

(3) Are all the above mentioned processes (apart from Bottling) considered conditioning?

Thank you so very much for help
    Last edited by perfection; 08-23-2017, 07:10 AM.

Personally I would consider maturation and conditioning the same thing.

Generally I would consider everything post primary fermentation, but before you transfer out of your final conditioning tank (either FV or lager tank).

Usually ales will condition in the original tank, and lagers (+Kolsch) may be moved to a horizontal lagering tank.

I would not include Centrifuge, Filtration, Pasteurizing, Krausening, or Packaging. And probably not dry hopping, as I like to dry hop prior to the end of primary fermentation.

The purpose of conditioning (for me at least) is to allow the yeast to clean up after itself (diacetyl, acetaldehyde), drop any particulates, and allow any further chemical changes to take place before packaging product to help ensure a stable beer (let hop bitterness soften, ethanol to acetaldehyde (hopefully not), ect).

You can do all the same steps for ales as you would for lagers, like a kolsch, however the lagering is not usually needed for ale yeasts as they metabolize faster.

I'm sure others may have differing opinions.

Comment

Working...
    X