Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips on a cheap option to keg from a 3 bbl unitank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on a cheap option to keg from a 3 bbl unitank?

Anyone have tips on best way to keg from a 3bbl unitank? Not interested in 2k$ options ,,, thanks

This keg filler comes with a premium MicroMatic keg coupler and our exclusive auto-stop attachment. It fills a keg in 8-10 minutes and then shuts off the flow automatically. No more overflows. No more wasted time baby-sitting your kegs while filling. You can even fill multiple kegs at the same time by hooking several up to a manifold. Our SKU # 3210 and # 3211 are examples of how this can be done. Spare parts are always available here at G.W. Kent. Over 20,000 of these great keg fillers are in use today on 5 continents. It pays for itself quickly from savings in labor and spilled beer.

Or just get a coupler, remove the check ball, put a needle valve on the gas side and run the coupler in reverse. Pretty simple really.

Comment

I have seen that filler, anyone familiar with it? How it automatically shuts off?

Comment

Originally posted by Beardown View Post
        I have seen that filler, anyone familiar with it? How it automatically shuts off?
        It has a little plastic ball inside. When the foam pushes, it goes around the ball, but when beer hits it, it pushes the ball up to the top and seals, stopping the flow.

They are quite nice if you need to fill unattended. Turn it on, come back later and switch kegs. If I recall, it takes about 7 mins to fill a keg. Little pricey, but not too bad. They can squirt on you a little bit though. I always kept a clean rag over the outlet port at the top, just in case.

As the previous poster said, you can take a coupler (I recommend the same as in the link - micromatic) remove the ball check inside, put a beer nut ball valve on the gas and liquid sides, run clear hose (silicone preferred), and fill in through the liquid side of the coupler.

Keep the gas (now output) valve shut. Open beer valve (inlet) until your beer is above the stem, and then SLOWLY release the pressure from the gas (outlet). Once you see beer (not foam) coming out the gas (outlet) then shut both valves and call it full. Quite simple really. But if you walk away, you can forget you are filling and drain a barrel or two if you aren't careful. It also helps to make sure the pressure in your kegs is close to the pressure in your brite to prevent foaming. (Counter pressure fill)

Also you always want to check that you have more pressure in your brite than in the keg. If you don't, you could send something from your keg back into the brite. It could contaminate your whole brite if your keg isn't cleaned properly.

Comment

cheap kegging

We use the method from Tom Hennessy from Colorado Boy and a scale to ensure consistent fills. Also a site glass helps to see if you are drawing off unwanted material when you are getting close to the bottom

Michael Ieronimo
          Brass Works Brewing Company, LLC
          President/ Head Brewer

Comment

Originally posted by Doublebird View Post
            We use the method from Tom Hennessy from Colorado Boy and a scale to ensure consistent fills. Also a site glass helps to see if you are drawing off unwanted material when you are getting close to the bottom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDOFsKB6xnk
            +1 on the sight glass.

Just for informational purposes, a gallon of water is 8.34 pounds. A gallon of light beer (1.008) comes in about 8.42 lbs. A gallon of barley wine (1.030) is about 8.60 lbs.

Comment

Working...
            X