o2 concentrator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• o2 concentrator

Has anyone tried oxygenating with an O2 concentrator designed for someone with COPD? These are available from any medical supply and are cheap once they are removed from service.

s

I did a long time ago!! I also though it was I good idea, so I before I shelled the close to one thousand bucks, I rented a unit, and my saga began!!!
    First there is an issue of pressure and flow, try beating the hydrostatic pressure of a 20 bbl fermenter, it ain't going to happen, the flow was so restricted that after almost a full hour of operation, I checked the O2 levels in the wort, and I think you can guess what happened, to be short, raised it a full ppm after one hour.
    Long story short, maybe for small batch, ore home brewing it might work, but believe me do anything over 10 bbl, it's just too expensive, and not functional at all.!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of using for yeast propagation 5 to 10 gallons. We have a unit that was donated . costs $75 to restore the media. My worry is bugs in the air getting into the wort.

s

Comment

Originally posted by murmsk View Post
        Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of using for yeast propagation 5 to 10 gallons. We have a unit that was donated . costs $75 to restore the media. My worry is bugs in the air getting into the wort.

s
        Just use a sterile filter disk and put it inline before your prop tank. Buy a handful and replace on a schedule depending on how many liters you run.

If the concentrator can handle increased line pressure, you could fill a holding tank to do larger batches. I would assume if it is meant for breathing oxygen, then it won't handle much resistance though.

Comment

Working...
        X