Calculating beer wasted during packaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating beer wasted during packaging

Are there any industry standards for calculating how much beer is wasted in the kegging, bottling and canning processes?
    Thanks in advance.

We mostly just guess.

DISCLAIMER: We're new; we're small. I'm probably doing it wrong.

We do our best estimate, then make minor adjustments when we take inventory.

I'm typically nicely surprised at how close we are; once we were dead-on (to 0.01!)

YMMV, and all that.

Comment

Am I missing something because this has always been a no brainer to me. BBT has a sight glass, count what you packaged and difference equals the loss? Is your question more than it seems Moab?

Edit- no ability to see loss from Kettle to FV, so you can optimise your hot break/trub pile, has always bugged me. I have contemplated a removable sight tube for the FV but never put it into practice.
      Last edited by Ted Briggs; 03-26-2020, 08:06 AM.
      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
      "Your results may vary"

Comment

TTB doesn't care about kettle to FV. There's a spot on the form for out-from-FV to rack (Line 2: total fermented + water), then from rack to packaging (separate spots for to-kegs and to-bottles), and a spot for losses, spillage, waste, etc.

...And you're supposed to answer to within 0.01 gallons (just over a shot glass); do y'all just eyeball the sight glass? How do you account for hose-loss, spillage, etc?

What I always wondered is how the really big guys do it. Surely Budweiser doesn't list that they did 60,452,796 and .37 gallons?! ...Or do they?! Maybe there are different rules on the "big boy" forms.

Comment

We take the amount of beer in our BT from the sight glass deduct what we packaged and that gives us our loss. I talked it over with our ttb contact and she told us that is an acceptable way to measure loss. She also did say we need to show how we verify the markings on our sight glasses are accurate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
          Jon Sheldon
          Owner/Brewer/Chief Floor Mopper
          Bugnutty Brewing Company
          www.bugnutty.com

Comment

OP did not say anything about the TTB- thats a different topic than maximizing yield and minimizing waste in-house.
            Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
            tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
            "Your results may vary"

Comment

The OP didn't say anything about minimizing or maximizing loss in the brewery either. The OP asked how to calculate loss during packaging. No indication was made that it wasn't for the TTB. It's a pretty open ended question and we are all answering it the best we know how.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
              Jon Sheldon
              Owner/Brewer/Chief Floor Mopper
              Bugnutty Brewing Company
              www.bugnutty.com

Comment

If you want to be accurate, you need to accurately calibrate the BBT first. If you do know exactly how much you've got, any other results are meaningless.

Then you need to know the average fill level of your beer containers - again, within a couple of ml in the case of bottles or cans.

You then calculate two values. One is the overfill - average fill minus nominal fill and calculate that in whatever form you want

Then you calculate the overall loss, = number of packages x nominal volume.

Knowing the overfill loss and the total loss, you can concentrate on the main loss area.
                dick

Comment

Working...
                X