Thread: canning scale

canning scale

At the risk of sounding really dumb, does anyone have a recommendation for a scale for canning day? We've bought a half dozen now that all claim to be waterproof but end up quitting after 20 minutes until it dries out. We've tried putting the scale in a plastic bag, etc. It seems like there must be a simple waterproof scale out there.

We use the Ozeri Pronto Digital Kitchen Scale, available from Amazon or other retailers. It's not totally waterproof, but it's worked well for us. Just try not to get too much water on it, and you should be ok. Ours does crap out every few months, but they're cheap, and I always keep a backup. You could probably find a waterproof one, but I imagine they're pretty expensive.

A Filtec works way better and has a half life of 40 years

It rarely needs attention, shows up every day for work, and checks every. single. can.

In all seriousness, they are very much worth the investment. Even if you have to lease it, for all the reasons stated above. It's like a really good employee and it gives the operator the opportunity to address the problem rather than weighing cans and contributing to the problem. Unless the problem is warm beer

The math can work...

matt@skafabricating.com

Or just don't use a scale....

I've seen small canning lines effectively use a rinse tank where the cans float to show contents. Sinkers are overfills, extreme floaters are underfills. Cheap and easy while also performing a rinse function.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--