Cleaning mold-stained walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning mold-stained walls

We have some walls in the brewery that had some pretty serious black mold issues at one point. We have the issue in check (with cleaning, scrubbing, power washing, etc.) and have changed practices (moved equipment to encourage air flow, started more strenuous PM, etc) to help prevent it from happening again.

The actual mold is gone, but there is a lot of staining remaining and I would like to find a solution to make the area a little more presentable. The walls are painted concrete block. Is there any specific type of paint or additive to make the wall less susceptible to staining or easier to keep clean in the future? We are probably going to be doing some construction and rearranging the production space (hopefully with less permiable walls...), so I am looking for a mid-term solution to make it look nicer until we can start afresh.

Does anyone have any tips?

Spray strong bleach on the walls. This can kill the residual spores and maybe lessen the staining the staining. Quaternary ammonium can also keep the mold from growing , but won't touch the staining.

Just powerwashing black mold causes the long chains of cells to break up into millions of smaller chains - all of which can start growing again. Bleach seems to be the best way to kill the chains off, and also lightens the dark colors.

Even if it isn't much fun to breathe!

Comment

A solution of sodium hydroxide has worked well for me in the past...both in removing any black stains and in killing the mold effectively. Don't know how your paint will take it, but I like the caustic.

I prefer not to have any chlorine in the brewery area, even the chlorine dioxide. I especially do not keep bleach around. Someone may accidentally use it on stainless.

Comment

Working...
      X