Confused about threaded thermowell with temp control probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about threaded thermowell with temp control probe

I am confused about the thermowell that i purchased to go along with my temp controller/probe... the thermowell has female threading. Do I need a different adapter that's threaded to go along with the temperature controllers probe? Or do I just shove the probe to the end of the well with the paste and ignore the threading? Thanks- here's the thermowell that I was told goes along with the temp controller that I have .

Tri-clamp sanitary adapter for thermometer for fitting to tank ferrules.

Originally posted by Beardown View Post
    I am confused about the thermowell that i purchased to go along with my temp controller/probe... the thermowell has female threading. Do I need a different adapter that's threaded to go along with the temperature controllers probe? Or do I just shove the probe to the end of the well with the paste and ignore the threading? Thanks- here's the thermowell that I was told goes along with the temp controller that I have .

https://www.gwkent.com/sanitary-tc-t...eter-well.html
    If it fits, I would shove the probe to the end of the well with a little bit of thermal paste and foam rubber or dab of silicone seal or something to hold it in place. Then either put a threaded adapter in the end of the thermowell where you can mount a junction box or conduit body to make the wiring connection, or if the wire itself is going to be exposed (e.g. not run in flexible conduit), put some sort of cord grip in it, with a threaded adapter if necessary.

The thermowells usually used with probes have a junction box mounted on them. The GW Kent version is supposed to take a thermometer, but I don't see how that's going to work well if the business end of the thermometer isn't in intimate contact with the well.

Regards,
    Mike Sharp

Comment

Seal it up with a water tight strain relief, it will hold the probe forward and keep water out from when you washdown the exterior of the tank.

Comment

The threads are for the strain-relief fitting that keeps the TC in the well. It looks like a nut with a compression gasket that tightens up around the wire when you screw the fitting in.

like this

https://www.mcmaster.com/#strain-relief-grips/=19dvvv0
        Linus Hall
        Yazoo Brewing
        Nashville, TN
        www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Working...
        X