Brewpub/restuarant business project for school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewpub/restuarant business project for school

Hi all. I'm taking an intro business class at Portland State and I'm involved in a group project in which we come up with a theoretical business and/or product. We came up with a brewpub/sm. resturant. From this idea we are to create a business plan, an organizational chart and PERT chart. We're doing okay but as with any business, there is a language that I'm not familiar with. What exactly is a bbl? It seems like a unit of measurement but what does it stand for?
    Also, I'm having some trouble figuring out the tax issue as well as salaries. From the threads I've read it seems that $35K seems suitable for a brewmaster. But what about brew assistants? For our model , we've settled on one F/T brewmaster and one assistant. Would that be remotely workable? And is min. wage insulting to offer for an assistant? Are there any payroll templates /generators out there? And what sort of benefits did any of you receive (or currently receive) from your employers? I would any and all input.

I must take my hat off to you guys. I had no idea how hard you work. I'm just usually on the other end enjoying the finished product of a love's labor. To any Portland brewers, I thank you for your talent and love. To everyone elsewhere, I thank you for you time.

Cheers, NewtoBrew

I can help with one thing.

BBL=Barrel=31 us gallons

Comment

NewToBrew- Good luck with your project. I'll fill in a couple of blanks for you. I would say 35K for a head brewer in a metro area like portland is a bit low, but not insultingly so. So you're probably okay there. An Assistant Brewer is usually an hourly salary. Minimum wage is too low. Probably $9-$10/hr is realistic. Head Brewers are usually part of the management team and so any benefits that you give your managers should extend to them as well. Usually full medical with vision/dental is the norm. Assistant brewer's get benifits if they're full time (after serving a few months waiting period, say 3 months?), but they may have to contribute anywhere from 20-80% of the cost depending on how good the plan is and how cheap the owners are.

But depending on your sales projections, you may not need a full-time assistant. I would say if you project annual production at <= 350 bbl, you only need a half-time assistant. Between 350-500 bbl is a gray area. If you're between 500-1000 bbl then you need a full-time assistant. Over 1000 bbl you might need one full-time assistant and a part-timer.

I too would love to get a look at your project when you're done. Like most brewers I hope to one day have my own brewery, but I currently don't have the business acumen to back it up! I hope the info helps.

Good luck and Cheers!
      Hutch Kugeman
      Head Brewer
      Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
      Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Thanks so much for the insight. Even though this is a thoeretical project, my group really want to emphasize the reality of this, especially in an industry that's is kinda complex- strictly from this outsider's perspective. I will keep you posted and I'll show you the fianl project when it's done. Thanks again!
        -NTB

Comment

how's the project progressing?

Comment

Working...
          X