Yeast collection prop question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast collection prop question...

We have a 3bbl ferm... is there any reason that a 1/2 bbl keg be too big for us to collect yeast in for storage? Thanks

Originally posted by Beardown View Post
    We have a 3bbl ferm... is there any reason that a 1/2 bbl keg be too big for us to collect yeast in for storage? Thanks
    It seems like overkill to me - but shouldnt cause any harm as long as you have a reliable way to slow the flow from your FV to the keg to get a nice slow flow and not have beer punch through the yeast cake.

Comment

Originally posted by Beardown View Post
      It's really way too big for what you need. I use 1-liter or 2-liter Nalgene bottles and I harvest out of 5BBL and 10BBL fermenters. As Brian said, slow flow is the way to go to get the best density of yeast in the bottle.

Cheers,
      --
      Don

Comment

To answer your question directly, no. There is no reason this would be too big for you. I would suggest (like the others) that you do not need a vessel this big, but the size should not present any problems. Most breweries at that size will use a corney keg as they often already have them in possession.

You can pull a hole through the yeast cake no matter what size you are using, so I recommend a smaller diameter hose for yeast collection. I generally use beverage line so I can see the yeast and replace it often/cost effectively. The smaller diameter slows your draw and makes pulling a hole less likely.

A good way to pitch your yeast (without a peristaltic pump and cell counts) is by weight over volume, so I like to put my keg on a scale and track the pitch that way. It is better to have a keg with tri-clamp attachments, but you can go in/out of the regular Sankey setup. You just need to make sure you are cleaning all the parts fully and regularly, and I would suggest dedicating a keg instead of using anything out of your average keg stock.

No matter how you choose to track your pitches/harvests, consistency is the key. Watch and track your results.

Comment

Yea will probably use a corny leg for this... is there a way to collect the yeast from the tank to the corny using a closed system with the cornys ball valves? Our would the corny have to be snake type for this ?

Comment

You can try it, but in my experience the fittings are too small to collect yeast effectively.

I personally prefer to see my yeast as I harvest it, so I don't like to hook up directly. I crop first, then check for consistency and thickness and pour on the inside wall of the vessel during harvest to see watch the consistency and speed during harvest. Oxygen wont harm your yeast so you really only have to worry about contamination. I like to do it in a still environment with no air moving and a slight cover with a sanitized paper towel or foil to cover the opening, but allowing me to move easily to see.

A sight glass or silicone tube just doesn't give me as much visual info as I like. Yeast can stick to the side giving you a false sense of consistency and speed.

I also tend to taste and smell the yeast directly at the end of the harvest. I do the pitching through sanitary means.

Comment

Working...
            X