Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centrifuge for Chunky IPAs

Howdy there,

Looking for anyone with extensive centrifuge experience to give me some advice on centrifuge process for heavily dry-hopped beers. Looking to find out how much clarification and crashing is necessary before sending a batch through the 'fuge, or if they can handle all of the particles to get a far better yield on these high-cost beers. I believe Other Half uses one, but they're the only brewery doing that style of beer that I know of using one...

Any help is much appreciated.

Our Brew80 from AlfaLaval handles particles up to 1mm. Some brewers are even using them on the hot side to improve kettle yield. Should handle your dry hops fine, as long as it's just pellets.

Probably won't take any haze out, just so you know.
    Mike Elliott
    Head Brewer
    Philipsburg Brewing Co.
    Montana

Comment

I've used GEA's Westy before on IPAs no problem. Regardless of your filtration technique you are always going to want to cold crash. Three days at 38 was our SOP before anything hit the 'fuge. As far as yields you can basically run mud through them and still pull beer. You'd have to drop your throughput and have your machine set at high RPMs but you can have a fairly turbid beer with hop particles in suspension and still yield a clear product. We would setup a "T" to pull from the bottom of the tank and racking arm at the same time and blend the "clean" beer from the middle of the tank and the trub and thick sludge at the bottom. Essentially the tank had everything removed from it and passed through the centrifuge yielding about 91-94%. PM me if you'd like my contact info, I'd be happy to help.

Comment

Working...
      X