Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourcing a peristaltic pump for yeast recirculation

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a small peristaltic pump to keep the yeast in suspension in my 100L yeast propagator. What is the specs I should look for ? I would also use the pump to transfer yeast from the cone to my brinks.

Thanks

Peristaltic pump Specs

We just bought one with approximately 1 gallon/minute flow max(its a two head with .5 gallon flow rate per head). We plan to use it for yeast harvest as well as mixing for acid wash/homogenization for sampling from brinks. We found we have been very likely pulling a cone of beer through our yeast cake at the bottom during collection so we were looking for a gentler method of collection to collect thickest slurry possible.

As far as specs, it depends on how much volume you are looking to do with it but it sounds like something similar to what we have would be useful, obviously more powerful motors/heads will increase flow rate, but i probably wouldnt go over anything more that 1 gallon/minute as it might stress the yeast getting pumped through the tube. Tube diameter also will play a role, but usually when you buy one it should have a flowrate on it.

Just a few thoughts, hope this helpsClick image for larger version

Name:	20171010_130433.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	191500Click image for larger version

Name:	20171010_130439.jpg
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	191501Click image for larger version

Name:	20171010_130452.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	191502Click image for larger version

Name:	20171010_130501.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	191503

Comment

Where did you buy it? There's one at cole parmer that does 1/2 gallon per minute maximum, do you think I would be OK with that?

Thanks

Comment

We bought ours on the internet, specifically Ebay, one of my guys found a sweetheart of a deal so we ordered it. Works just fine. 1/2 gallon/minute should be plenty, thats what we'll be doing starting off, and then possible using the second head as we look to increase volume.

Comment

One manufacturer is Randolph Austin Co. out of Manchaca TX. (512) 282-1590
          Our brewhouse has one of theirs and it seems to work fairly well. It will do 3 gal/min. Is a belt drive so you could slow it down to whatever speed with a couple pulleys.

Comment

Working...
          X