Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IDD Squire Keg Washer / Filler - anyone in SoCal have one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDD Squire Keg Washer / Filler - anyone in SoCal have one?

Considering a few options and I'd really like to don my boots and take a Squire for an extended test drive before pulling the trigger.

So, does anyone in SoCal have one? Do you mind if I clean a pallet or two of your kegs?

Bonus points if you're using the fill-by-weight option.

Thanks,
    Sterling

We're in NE Oregon, but would love it if you'd come clean a few pallets of kegs!

We bought an IDD Squire II a couple of years ago. The instructions are nearly worthless, but the machine performs very well.

We bought the fill-by-weight option, but have never really used it. We use the scale to monitor the weight of the full kegs, which are very consistent using the automatic FOB filler. The scale has no way to store multiple keg weights, so switching keg sizes or beer gravities requires jumping through too many hoops to teach a new employee. If IDD has changed the scale controller to one that can store some parameters, it might be worth having, but we are very happy using the FOB.

Here's a thread on installing and using the IDD Squire Plus II: http://discussions.probrewer.com/sho...-Plus-2-thread
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Das FOB

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
      ...but we are very happy using the FOB.
      Which FOB are you using? Are you filling kegs individually in-line with cleaning (ie: clean then fill like a production line) or are you filling multiple kegs with multiple FOBs on a pallet, all at once?

thanks!

Comment

I've got one too, and we use the fill by weight. We run ours production line style.

I love the thing. We've pretty well figured out how to make it work with our chemicals and it's simple enough to explain to new hires in about 15 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by fihbkyle View Post
          We run ours production line style.
          About how many half and sixtels are you running per hour?

Comment

Originally posted by SterlingTMb View Post
            Which FOB are you using? Are you filling kegs individually in-line with cleaning (ie: clean then fill like a production line) or are you filling multiple kegs with multiple FOBs on a pallet, all at once?

thanks!
            I'm not sure of our procedure for washing/filling kegs. Since the Squire uses a cold rinse/sanitizer, it should work fine to wash a keg and immediately fill it.

The FOB we use is the automated one on the Squire. It works just fine, using an IR proximity detector to "see" when clear beer hits the FOB. Little or no wastage, as long as you have your settings dialed in, especially the restriction on the gas discharge from the keg. Once you get it set, you can forget it.

The Squire II is set up for filling one keg at a time, but it's fast.

When we fill multiple kegs on a pallet, we use a 4-head manual filling set-up directly from the unitank.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by SterlingTMb View Post
              About how many half and sixtels are you running per hour?
              I think we max out around 25 halves per hour. Probably about the same (or maybe ~30 if you're well prepared) with sixths. There's time lost in all the coupling and decoupling you do. We'll pre-clean sixths the day before if we have time to multitask, the cleaning cycle with those takes roughly twice as long as the fill.

Comment

The time washing kegs can be pretty variable depending on the reserve of air and CO2 that the machine has available. I followed the thread that is above and my time is 1:57 per keg on the short cycle. If you dont have enough reserve capacity wash times can be much longer. You can see some pics of my install on the thread, no sense in reinventing the wheel
                Mike Eme
                Brewmaster

Comment

As Mike wrote, a good supply of air and CO2 is essential to getting good wash times. Like Mike, we're hitting just under 2 min. for a 1/2 bbl on short cycle. This gives the keg guy just about enough time to get the outside of the next keg clean.

If you have long lines, or poor supply for whatever reason, the surge tank method Mike and I used takes care of the problem.
                  Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                  Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
                  X