Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to build storeroom for brewery needs. Are steel buildings good for the purpose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to build storeroom for brewery needs. Are steel buildings good for the purpose?

Hi

I own a brewery in Toronto. And I'm successfully running it for the past ten years. I am planning to expand my business as I got a large income in the last fiscal year.

Recently, my friend planned to migrate to the US, and he wants me to take over his business. So it can be an expansion to my existing business. In fact, my whole profit, which was earned last year has to be used for the purpose.

For expanding, I need to have two more storerooms. And I can't afford money to build the storerooms. Because my balance will be shorter after taking over my friend's business. But, it is an urgency for me to have two storerooms. And I am thinking of cheaper ways to build them.

During internet research, I came across steel buildings. I was so impressed by the idea. But I am not sure of the practical constraints of using steel buildings for the storeroom. Did anyone try out building using steel? Is it good to use for storage purpose? I came to notice some companies in Ontario, which provide commercial steel buildings. Is their service good?

I want to build storerooms as soon as possible. Or is there any good and cheaper ways? Expecting your replies. Thank you.

Steel buildings can be a great option depending on your location and use. They are able to be constructed quickly and are much more affordable than using traditional building methods. They are able to be sealed, insulated, and conditioned just like a regular building. However, they do have their own limitations.

Typically the steel building companies do not design their buildings to have much excess capacity beyond the code required design loads, and use proprietary building systems in their design. That means that they are very difficult to modify or expand in the future. As an example, if you decide in the future that you want to add solar panels to the roof, there is probably not the capacity built in to support the panel system which means you would have to do extensive reinforcement to the roof to get it to support the additional load.

Make sure you also consider the cost of the foundation system in your pricing calculations. Depending on your soil conditions at your site, the cost of the foundation system could be two or three times the cost of the building (which is true for any type of building structure).
    Brandon Besser, P.E.
    "He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom" - Gandalf

Comment

Shipping containers have become popular in the past few years.
      Check with the city. Might be able to get one dropped in quick n cheap.

“It’s all your fault, New Mexico,” said Mother Road Brewing founder and chief beer officer Michael Marquess with a big grin. “We thought we were shipping enough beer for six to eight weeks, but you…

Comment

Originally posted by bbesser View Post
        Steel buildings can be a great option depending on your location and use. They are able to be constructed quickly and are much more affordable than using traditional building methods. They are able to be sealed, insulated, and conditioned just like a regular building. However, they do have their own limitations.

Typically the steel building companies do not design their buildings to have much excess capacity beyond the code required design loads, and use proprietary building systems in their design. That means that they are very difficult to modify or expand in the future. As an example, if you decide in the future that you want to add solar panels to the roof, there is probably not the capacity built in to support the panel system which means you would have to do extensive reinforcement to the roof to get it to support the additional load.

Make sure you also consider the cost of the foundation system in your pricing calculations. Depending on your soil conditions at your site, the cost of the foundation system could be two or three times the cost of the building (which is true for any type of building structure).
        Thank you for the reply. I don't have much money to invest. If possible, suggest some steel building companies if there is no other cost effective way.

Comment

Sorry, I am not able to suggest any companies that I have worked with. I have worked making modifications/upgrades to existing metal buildings as a structural engineer, but have not directly worked with any metal building manufacturers. As mentioned above, if you only need some small amount of storage, shipping containers could be a good low cost option.
          Brandon Besser, P.E.
          "He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom" - Gandalf

Comment

I am building a steel building for my brewery and tasting room here in Texas. Steel buildings are much cheaper, faster to construct, and can be insulated etc just like a regular building. The only downsize I can see, is those panels are easily removed with a powered screwdriver. So theft is a real possibility...but that is why you have security cameras and insurance.

Comment

Working...
            X