Lab analysis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lab analysis?

I am looking for any info that’s out there on beer analysis for a specific problem. Every beer I make has a tartness to it and sometimes astringency as well. I have addressed all the usual suspects. Crush, pH, temperature, I have done no sparge to take that out of the equation. These are all malt beers. I have beers that finish at 4.3-4.4 that have sourness. I can’t believe it’s an infection in every beer as it does not get worse. Sometimes it seems better with age (months). The beers always seem dry and sharp even when mashed warm and high chloride is used. I can’t get that full rounded smooth beer flavor. I’m not sure if it’s tannin, silicates, phenols or what but I’m wondering if here’s such a lab that does anything like this. Any thoughts?
    Thanks!

Polyphenols and tannins may contribute to your problem, but it sounds more complex than that.
    You need to analyze your mash water, since high levels of sulfate and alkalinity can contribute to the extraction of different bitter causing compounds from the husks and hops.
    A lab analysis on the total polyphenols , ph and bitterness in your wort might shed some light.
    But in my humble opinion is some trouble in your ion concentration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
    X