No announcement yet.

Peracetic acid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a little digging, it comes from Envirotech, they make Perisan A, one of the most common PAA sources. The classic white bucket with yellow lid.

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
    Thanks for supplying that. I have book marked it as it is very useful information. I wish it had a little more info on the source of the study, but am certainly willing to take it on its face value.

It seems to confirm that as long as my water temp is 10*C (50*F) or greater then 10 mins is sufficient for a TOTAL KILL of S. cerevisiae and S. diastaticus as well as the six types of bacteria mentioned. A 6-7 log reduction (reasonable for sanitation over sterilization) probably happens even faster. This would correlate with my practical data from plating. Never see growth on multiple media after a 10 min cycle over 100ppm of PAA.

It would take longer or warmer temperatures for Candida mycoderma, Hansenula anomala, and Picha membranaefaciens for sure. not sure those are common in beer, but it could certainly happen.

I would say that concentration appears to be just as big of a factor for the total kill of the yeast organisms mentioned, but I would agree in saying temperature is much more of a factor in the killing of bacteria and spores.

Very good info.

Comment

Originally posted by jebzter View Post
      Here is that file I found on PAA.

It shows that temperature, not concentration is the biggest factor in kill time for many things even at two different concentration levels.
      Been away for a few days so just catching up.

Thanks for this. I know that more modern PAA formulations are claimed to be more effective than the early ones, which is what my info was based on- at least some of them add an organic acid which apparently helps cell wall penetration & destruction. Shame this doesn't appear to be date stamped or show if it is a formulated product containing some of the more recent additives, or a basic formulation - but as unfermentable says - good info to use as a starting point.
      dick

Comment

I would say that the product is likely perisan A, they only make that brand of PAA

Comment

Working...
        X