Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brain medicine View Post
    [...]

however- got word back from our water supplier. they said they dont use chlorine, but the city treats with chlorine. then the individual companies do their own treatment to that water. RO filter, etc. but they had two membranes go bad a little while ago and we were getting 95ppm chlorine according to the vendor. they said typically its about 50ppm. im not sure i can really believe this as i remember adding chlorine to a pool i lifeguarded at back in high school and that was in the single digit ppm levels. and i dont think RO takes out chlorine anyways, right?

i had the guys call back to make sure we were all on the same page- they said yes, 95ppm. but that just cant be true. i think they must be confusing chlorine with chloride? you couldnt even drink 95ppm chlorine water- it cant be true. so not much help there.
    Yeah, you're right. They're thinking chloride. RO membranes not only don't remove chlorine, but any halogen in the +1 state will rapidly destroy a thin film composite membrane...which is probably why they had two membranes go bad a little while. 95ppm chlorine, and your eyes would probably be watering more than the water. But in a way, that's good news. If they are treating via RO, you shouldn't have to worry about chlorine at all. Of course, if they're confusing the two, then you probably have plenty of other things to worry about.

Regards,
    Mike Sharp

Comment

Originally posted by rdcpro View Post
      Those probably get exhausted quickly, especially if you have more chlorine in your water than you think you might. And who knows what their actual rated flow rate is--I've never seen one that had any real specs. I know budgets are always tight, but I'd look for a backwashing granular activated carbon filter. They come in tank form, not unlike a resin ion exchanger. You can probably just bring one down from the US, I'd guess. They usually run around $700-1000 for automatic ones
      We routinely put backwashing carbon tanks in breweries. We size these tanks based upon what the target is (chlorine, or chloramine), the necessary contact time to treat the target, the desired flow rate, and a few others. In most instances, once desired flow rates exceed 3 to 6 gpm, you'll be $ ahead by using a backwashing tank rather than cartridge filters.

Russ
      Water Treatment Systems & Supplies www.BuckeyeHydro.com
      Info@buckeyehydro.com 513-312-2343

Comment

What hops are you using..... Doubt its your issue but since you mentioned the Vienna, some hops can be perceived as soapy. Specifically Hallertau Mittlefruh, and because of its parentage Saphir, and recently had the soapy train start with Comet as a dry hop. For what its worth.

Comment

no hallertau. but one of the soapy beers did have quite a bit of comet in it. kettle and dry hop. but im not sure i'd pin it on the comet though, as i made a big ass batch of a comet lager at home that was delicious, wife and i drank it all within a week. same supplier. kettle and dry hop.

while i guess it could be possible, im going with yeast.

Comment

Working...
          X