No announcement yet.

Big Pillow Fluffy Head - how’s it done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Pillow Fluffy Head - how’s it done?

How are some of these beers getting big giant fluffy heads? On pilsners and such. Step mash?

Here is a good little article on beer foam. It explains some of the science.

A simple answer would be CaraPils or CaraFoam. You'll have to do a bit of research as to why these help.

Comment

Comment

Its all about managing the foam positive proteins and the foam negative aspects. There are also products that will enhance this. Dextrine malts help, but you can go overboard with them and get a beer that is too sweet, unmalted wheat, oats, and rye can contribute to a more stable head formation. If for some reason you are doing a protein rest or using certain enzymes, these can degrade those proteins you need. Tetrahop is very foam positive, it is used by breweries doing high gravity brewing and then diluting to normal abv, this tends to reduce head retention, the tetrahop can fix that. You should also look at your glassware and your carbonation levels. Residues can kill head, and so can being undercarbonated.

Comment

A proper pour is also essential to a good head. People go to school to learn to pour a Pils properly!

Once you have the brewing side nailed, educate your servers on proper technique. I find this the most difficult part of the equation.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by jebzter View Post
            Its all about managing the foam positive proteins and the foam negative aspects. There are also products that will enhance this. Dextrine malts help, but you can go overboard with them and get a beer that is too sweet, unmalted wheat, oats, and rye can contribute to a more stable head formation. If for some reason you are doing a protein rest or using certain enzymes, these can degrade those proteins you need. Tetrahop is very foam positive, it is used by breweries doing high gravity brewing and then diluting to normal abv, this tends to reduce head retention, the tetrahop can fix that. You should also look at your glassware and your carbonation levels. Residues can kill head, and so can being undercarbonated.
            Good information here. Some further points:

1. Nitrogenation improves the tightness of the head, giving a creamy consistency. It can soften the taste however, so requires a good balance with CO2 so as not to affect overall taste;
            2. A good, effective copper finings regime is essential to maintaining the foam-positive proteins without leaving high levels of the haze-forming 'sensitive' proteins;
            3. Definitely good glassware cleanliness, with the right cleaning agent, is vital in presenting and maintaining a good head when serving.

Comment

Originally posted by WaterEng
              I'm not sure I concur with this, but there are research studies that imply that crystal malts like carapils and carafoam are not really foam-positive. They may not be doing what you intend them to.
              By chance do you have any links to these studies? I am interested in learning a bit more about this since my experience seems to show the CaraPils/CaraFoam malts aids in foam retention, although I would not strictly say I have seen an increase foam content/production. I usually add small amounts for body/mouth feel, but the retention factor was noticeable in a few examples. It may be due to other reasons, not entirely sure.

To jebzters point, over about 10% I tend to find unpleasant, especially in Briess CaraPils, but Weyermann CaraPils (or CaraFoam in US, I am fairly certain these are the same exact malt) has a different "fuller" flavor IMHO. I would't describe it as sweet (provided you have a dry enough FG) but more of a dry almost chalkiness when used in high quantities. Weyermann suggests as much as 40% can be used for certain styles, however I have never gone above about 12% maximum myself.

To another point, I believe Briess CaraPils is in fact a crystal malt around 90-100% glassy, but the Weyermann is not. I would have to look back a bit, but I remember reading somewhere that Weyermann CaraFoam is only 2-3% glassy making much more like a base malt. Anyone can jump in to correct me on this...I will look into verifying.

Comment

Besides all the info about the proteins and such, don't forget your carbonation. Higher carbonation in the beer (2.9 vs 2.5 volumes) will aid in creating more foam (replacing the bubbles that have already burst). As someone stated earlier, clean glassware, careful of soaps and anything that has fat (lipstick, food, etc). Another thing that might help would be multiple pours. If you fill your glass to about 75-80%, wait a minute. The more liquidy foam will either burst or slide back down into the beer, leaving more stable proteins/foam on top. You then pour a second time filling the glass and letting the foam dome above the glass without overflowing. This just makes a glass of beer look so sexy! I love doing this, it drives my English-trained brewer/owner crazy that I put on so much foam! I feel thirsty all of a sudden,
                Cheers and good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X