Thread: Kettle sours

Kettle sours

Hi all,

Hope I'm posting this in the right area...so, we have been doing a fair few kettle sours over the last few months. We use Lactobacillus Plantarum for souring and has also used Brevis and Buchneri in the past. When the souring is taking place, I always get a strong tomato sauce/tinned baked beans/tinned spaghetti aroma. This aroma does seem do boil off fairly well, but I do perceive it still in the final product. It does seem to be a DMS related sulphur?

Is this normal for a kettle sour, or does any of you get a cleaner aroma during the souring process?

Cheers

Does anyone else detect this? I have a tendency to detect exactly what you were describing in kettle sours in the kettle and sometimes in the finished product. I also get it in nearly any sour that has "fall" spices… I have been in sensory panels where I would swear it smells exactly like a bottle of ketchup and 20 other people get nothing.

The only beer I've ever really gotten "tomato soup" from (strongly) is Bayrischer Bahnhoff's Leipziger Gose. I've experienced it to a lesser extent in some other Gose beers, but the salt content in that beer is much higher than a lot of American examples. I think maybe it has something to do with the souring process and the salt interaction.

****Now that I'm writing this, I can taste it a little in my Seamonster Pale Ale that I currently have on draft (now that I try it again, looking for it). It is a pale ale brewed with seaweed and sea salt. Not at all sour, but salted.

Maybe it has something to do with salts in your water? Do you adjust your water chemistry at all? Do you have a water report? I am not up on my brewing chemistry, but the professional chef in me knows that salt and umami and sour feed back on each other, so maybe this interaction is bringing out the savory flavors you are experiencing.

We only add salt after the souring process. I dont have a water report and dont add allot of brew salts to this mash.

Cheers for the input!