Need help completing equipment list for a new brewery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help completing equipment list for a new brewery

I am working on a brewery in planning feasibility study, and would appreciate some guidance on equipment needed.

What other equipment would I need for a 3-5BBl brew brewery (probably steam) in addition to items listed below? The goal is to be taproom sales (75-100 seats)with limited distribution to start. List is exclusive of taproom equipment. There are so many things I want to make sure I am not missing anything I may need that would be a budget buster.
    I am just looking at basics right now…will work on correct sizing as I progress. If you see anything missing, please let me know. A budget is obviously on my mind. I know that all breweries are different, but trying to keep form having any big “gotcha” items pop up.

Depending on budget, some of these things can be forgone initially and added after we make some sales.

current plan is for about 300-400BBL/ yr

We will probably just start with pitching dry yeast each batch until we get a yeast program going.

Grain storage (shelving maybe)
    scale
    Grain mill w/ hopper and motor
    auger to mash tun for grains
    grist case
    grist hydrator
    boiler and associated equipment
    HLT size dependent on system
    Acidification system?
    brew house-probably skid mounted (all inclusive with pumps and piping, grain rake?)
    2 stage heat exchanger (very high ground water temp)
    on demand water heater (for cleaning) maybe some HLT duty
    hot water rated hoses and sprayer nozzles for cleaning
    pump cart w/ VFD
    keg washer
    kegs
    keg filling manifold
    cold storage for kegs
    draft system-(6-8 taps)
    flooring &floor drains
    Glycol system (for FVs and 2 stage heat exchanger (one big one or 2 separate ones?) control panel, solenoids, pump, piping)
    3-4 fermenters double batch sized
    1 brite tank, planning to carb in brite then transfer to kegs for serving
    Draft system. Goal is to have cold room on the opposite side of serving tap wall
    RO system (area has pretty bad water)
    RO storage tank (simple plastic water tank)
    CO2 tanks and associated piping
    Air compressor
    Brewer hoses
    Misc clamps spare parts
    Oxygen system
    CIP cart?
    PH Meter
    Pallet jack

You're going to want 2 types of scales. A big one for measuring grain/hops in pounds or kilos and a gram scale to measure your chemicals to treat your water. At that size, I wouldn't mess with a grist case and auger system.

Originally posted by psychobiter View Post
    I am working on a brewery in planning feasibility study, and would appreciate some guidance on equipment needed.

What other equipment would I need for a 3-5BBl brew brewery (probably steam) in addition to items listed below? The goal is to be taproom sales (75-100 seats)with limited distribution to start. List is exclusive of taproom equipment. There are so many things I want to make sure I am not missing anything I may need that would be a budget buster.
    I am just looking at basics right now…will work on correct sizing as I progress. If you see anything missing, please let me know. A budget is obviously on my mind. I know that all breweries are different, but trying to keep form having any big “gotcha” items pop up.

Depending on budget, some of these things can be forgone initially and added after we make some sales.

current plan is for about 300-400BBL/ yr

We will probably just start with pitching dry yeast each batch until we get a yeast program going.

Grain storage (shelving maybe)
    scale
    Grain mill w/ hopper and motor
    auger to mash tun for grains
    grist case
    grist hydrator
    boiler and associated equipment
    HLT size dependent on system
    Acidification system?
    brew house-probably skid mounted (all inclusive with pumps and piping, grain rake?)
    2 stage heat exchanger (very high ground water temp)
    on demand water heater (for cleaning) maybe some HLT duty
    hot water rated hoses and sprayer nozzles for cleaning
    pump cart w/ VFD
    keg washer
    kegs
    keg filling manifold
    cold storage for kegs
    draft system-(6-8 taps)
    flooring &floor drains
    Glycol system (for FVs and 2 stage heat exchanger (one big one or 2 separate ones?) control panel, solenoids, pump, piping)
    3-4 fermenters double batch sized
    1 brite tank, planning to carb in brite then transfer to kegs for serving
    Draft system. Goal is to have cold room on the opposite side of serving tap wall
    RO system (area has pretty bad water)
    RO storage tank (simple plastic water tank)
    CO2 tanks and associated piping
    Air compressor
    Brewer hoses
    Misc clamps spare parts
    Oxygen system
    CIP cart?
    PH Meter
    Pallet jack

Comment

Originally posted by datomcat13 View Post
      You're going to want 2 types of scales. A big one for measuring grain/hops in pounds or kilos and a gram scale to measure your chemicals to treat your water. At that size, I wouldn't mess with a grist case and auger system.
      I was wondering about the grist case/auger , seems like overkill for a small system.

I'll add the hop/chemical scale to the list.

Thanks

Comment

How about some basic microbiology laboratory equipment like a 400 X microscope and equipment/supplies for doing serial dilutions and cell counts? Bench top pH meter and cal fluids. Yeast brink(s). Not big ticket items, but good to have on a list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

rotameter for carbonating in brite.

Comment

Right off the bat I would loose the grain mill and related equipment. In this size setup much easier to buy the grain milled. Less headaches and we never have grain around for any period of time.

we had a Gas Supplier install a large tank with external fill port and internal manifold for hookups, minimal cost with a contract.

Definitely go direct hot water, we have a double setup so we can use either up to 145F or with secondary 185F for use in cleaning and HLT, no preheating needed.

I would say you might want to consider Uni-tanks instead of straight fermentors. Gives you the option of doubling as a Brite.

The key when starting a brewery is to save where ever you can. We started with plastic conicals with cooling coils, We were able to get 3 complete chilled 4bbl plastics for less than a single jacketed SS one. You will out grow the tanks before they wear out. Unless you have an unlimited budget, the key is to get what you need and make do with what you can build. Budget for it all but check the DIY section, the surest way to not survive is lack of operating capital. You have to sell a lot of beer to justify a fancy keg washer. You may have to settle for a little less shiny stainless when starting up, but pretty doesn't pay the bills - the beer does.

Geoff

Comment

No Auger or Grist Case

Save the Money and buy pre milled 2-row and invest in a small 2 roller mill from MoreBeer.com.
              for your specialties malts. And depending on the beers you want to make I highly recommend a decoction system
              to get maximum efficiency out of that pre-milled grain..
              Country Malt Group is great to work with, as is BSG.
              Good Luck
              Lance
              Reno, Nevada.

Comment

You can take the rakes out as well, and add in a mash paddle and a shovel to grain out.

At that size, I'd also look at eliminating the boiler.

Some other stuff that you will need. Hydrometer and thermometer. PPE stuff like gloves, good boots, chemical apron, face shield, glasses. You are certainly going to want a hand truck. Office supplies. I'm sure there are 100 other small things I'm forgetting.

Comment

Originally posted by brewmatt333 View Post
                  You can take the rakes out as well, and add in a mash paddle and a shovel to grain out.

At that size, I'd also look at eliminating the boiler.

Some other stuff that you will need. Hydrometer and thermometer. PPE stuff like gloves, good boots, chemical apron, face shield, glasses. You are certainly going to want a hand truck. Office supplies. I'm sure there are 100 other small things I'm forgetting.
                  Hello Brewmatt333,

Very nice advice. Could you please tell me how to realize " take the rakes out as well, and add in a mash paddle and a shovel to grain out"?

Thanks
                  Ray Ran

YoLong Industrial Co.,Ltd II Microbrewery Setup & Expansion
                  Email:ray@yolongbrewtech.com
                  Cell: 0086 156 5360 2112
                  Web: yolongbrewtech.com

Comment

Thanks everybody, these are the types of things I was looking for.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                      Hello Brewmatt333,

Very nice advice. Could you please tell me how to realize " take the rakes out as well, and add in a mash paddle and a shovel to grain out"?

Thanks
                      Pretty sure he is saying with a brewhouse this size, rakes are not needed. You can get it done with just a paddle and a shovel on this scale.

Comment

Caustic and acid detergent analysis kit

test strips for PAA (or analysis kit if using other sanitiser)

Chilled liquor tank - to cope with high water temperatures during summer, or perhaps if you want to brew lagers

Break water tank if your water supply pressure / flow is limited

Ability to safely add liquor treatment (acid mainly - though shouldn't be necessary if all brewing liquor RO treated) to chilled liquor tank

carbon filter for CL removal, before RO plant

If you are using dried yeast, don't bother with the oxygen kit - 99 times out of 100 it will not be required

Serving tanks instead of kegs for own bar

If you are feeling rich - ATPase meter
                        dick

Comment

Previously mentioned was grain mill and auger removal. Do not do this, milling of grain is a crucial control point for the quality and consistency of your beers. Once you give that responsibility to someone else, you loose any control over efficiency that you have. While most of our suppliers have quality mills and strive to give the most consistent crush, you don't always have the same person milling each day, and therefore can have inconsistent results. Mills are not all that expensive, and with all the other things mentioned above, it would suck to have batch to batch changes because of something so simple to control.

Comment

Brewery equipment

No way you will have everything you need, because you wont, but here are a few extras:
                            Buckets, man buckets. You will need 5 more food grade buckets w lids then you ever have. So useful.
                            Tri-Clamps and gaskets, some mfr.'s will provide F/V fitting packs and some will provide a "brewers pack" you will run out.
                            Sankey keg tool, you wont think you need one till you try the hammer, screw driver and cuss method
                            A second pump, Once you rely on pumps to move fluid, when the pump breaks you have a back up
                            Tools, and work bench
                            Stainless steel sink, at least double basin, with a large spray arm
                            desk?
                            carb stones
                            chest freezer

A thought on the 3 to 5 bbl system. At that size, is the extra thousands for the process piping, stainless platform, mash rake and grist case/hydrator necessary. Skip the boiler and go gas fired or electric. I know we dream big, and expensive is beautiful, but a steam boiler requires steam fitted piping and is so costly. Go in light. Make great beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                              Hello Brewmatt333,

Thanks
                              On a 3-5 bbl scale, there is no need for mechanical rakes in the mash tun. It's an unnecessary expense, and one more thing in the brewery that will eventually break. A simple wood mash paddle to help you stir the mash, and a shovel or something along those lines to get the grain out is all you need. We use a rake from the hardware store with a plastic cutting board drilled on. This is on a 12bbl scale and works just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X