Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collaboration brewing

Hi, folks.

I was recently kicking the idea for a collaboration brew around with another area brewery (we provide malts, they provide hops and yeast, we kick the recipe around between us until we both like it) ,and the question came up about the legalities of doing this. From the TTB standpoint, it looks like one of us would have to do this as a tenant or contract brewer, using the other brewery’s facility. That would probably involve another round of licensing hassles, and neither of us want to reopen that particular can of worms. I haven’t even looked at what would be involved at the state level (Minnesota). Does anyone have experience with this, and can give me an outline of the process and pitfalls?

Cheers!

Most breweries I've seen do it has treated it like it was a normal beer made by the host brewery (whichever brewery it was brewed/fermented in) with all the paperwork, excise taxes and regular distribution laws included (I think guest beers are allowed in MN? So guest collaborator would have to buy kegs through host if self distribution allows or distributor depending on state laws if both breweries wanted to serve it), simply calling it a collaboration in name and marketing only. If the non-host were to supply ingredients they were sold or donated to the host brewery. Others would collaborate on a recipe and brew it at each brewery, treating it like any normal beer of their own, just saying it was a collab.

Comment

You are allowed to purchase beer from another brewery, not tax paid, and then sell it as your own. Anchor and Laguinitas did this a while back when Laguinitas couldn't get their new brew house up in time. Its certainly doable, and doesn't require an AP, you could also each brew a batch at your breweries, I've seen that a bunch as well.

Comment

Working...
      X