Tap location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tap location

Hello! I'm curious to hear your thoughts. We are relocating our brewery and have the opportunity to start fresh with our bar setup.

We are planning to set up a couple tap towers to serve 30-40 beers, wines, cider, sodas on draft. We (the very hands on owners) currently plan to put the taps behind the bar. One of my trusted pubtenders thinks the taps should be placed directly in front of the bar patrons. Her rationale is that she can pour beer and talk to customers at the same time. It will be a 10-12 seat bar with a dining room that has 90 additional seats.

I worry about patrons accidentally or purposefully engaging the taps, or the taps getting in the way of serving food/beverages.

Note worthy: our cold room will be in the basement, so we are running the beer lines through the floor under the bar, and we have a line chiller for any part of the beer lines that need to leave the cooler.

Thoughts? Please send photos of tap set ups that you love!

Cheers!

Aubrey

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Agree with pubtender on conversational ease. Don't worry about customers pulling taps.

Comment

Aubrey--Anything that encourages the pub staff to face the customers at all times is good. We went with a back-bar tower location, but I argued hard to put towers on the bar, for just that reason. When a bartender turns his/her back on the customers, IMHO, it's a bad thing. Encourage your staff to pay attention to what is happening at and around the bar at all times, and mischief from the customers (opening faucets, attempting to pour beers, etc) won't be a problem. I've been in too many busy situations where the bartender has his/her back to the customers, regardless the reason, and the impression is that one is being ignored, intentionally or otherwise. Not a good impression to give a customer.

For any significant distance or lift in the beer lines, I use air-powered beer pumps. This solves any problems with over-carbing due to high CO2 pressure, alleviates the need to use mixed gas (expensive), and just provides the best pours I've yet to see. Make sure your line chiller is over-rated--in my experience, the ratings for the chillers are highly exaggerated. I'd suggest you go with a chiller rated for twice the line length you're running.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBred View Post
        Agree with pubtender on conversational ease. Don't worry about customers pulling taps.
        Thanks for your reply!

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
          Aubrey--Anything that encourages the pub staff to face the customers at all times is good. We went with a back-bar tower location, but I argued hard to put towers on the bar, for just that reason. When a bartender turns his/her back on the customers, IMHO, it's a bad thing. Encourage your staff to pay attention to what is happening at and around the bar at all times, and mischief from the customers (opening faucets, attempting to pour beers, etc) won't be a problem. I've been in too many busy situations where the bartender has his/her back to the customers, regardless the reason, and the impression is that one is being ignored, intentionally or otherwise. Not a good impression to give a customer.

For any significant distance or lift in the beer lines, I use air-powered beer pumps. This solves any problems with over-carbing due to high CO2 pressure, alleviates the need to use mixed gas (expensive), and just provides the best pours I've yet to see. Make sure your line chiller is over-rated--in my experience, the ratings for the chillers are highly exaggerated. I'd suggest you go with a chiller rated for twice the line length you're running.
          Thank you for the detailed ideas!

Comment

Working...
          X