brewing with maple syrup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brewing with maple syrup

I am interested in hearing from anyone that has brewed with maple syrup.
    I have heard of other brewers using maple sap as the base for a recipe as well as syrup being added at the end of the boil, or to the secondary.How much maple flavor can be detected in the final product?

Check with Sam Sherwood at Founders. He made a nice maple porter while he was at the Black Forest in Frankenmuth.
    Jim Brown, Owner
    Happy Tappy Draft Beer Services
    3440 Win Kae Place
    Bay City, MI 48706
    989-233-2221

Comment

I've used dark maple syrup in the brite tank to create a "maple brown ale" before. If you search the forums for "maple" you'll find another thread where using maple syrup is discussed. You'll have to do some tests before hand to figure out the right amount to add. For 7 bbl of finished beer I added 2 1/4 gallons of maple syrup. There was a big difference in flavor intensity between 2 gal, 2.25 gal, and 2.5 gallons added.

I wanted to be able to taste the maple flavor (and get aroma) as a balanced (but noticeable) part of the overall beer, and I was definitely able to do so in the finished product. But if you want a barely perceptable hint of maple or an overpowering maple flavored product, you'll need to do some experimenting on a small scale to get it right.

Feel free to IM me or call 518-523-0233 if I can be of more help.

Cheers!
      Hutch Kugeman
      Head Brewer
      Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
      Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Working...
      X