Adding tri-clamp ports to IBC totes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding tri-clamp ports to IBC totes

I'm looking into getting an HDPE IBC tote for blending (keeping wild bugs out of our stainless, fruiting beer, etc). In order to do that I'd prefer to have a few ports installed like a blowoff or a zwickel rather than venting from the lid or sampling from the drain. I was wondering if anyone had any experience to share installing TC connections into the walls or top of an HDPE IBC tote. Or if there's a thread on it already if someone could direct me there.

I've added tri clamp fittings to plastic conical tanks before. Just get a 1/2" bulkhead fitting and a 1/2" npt to tri clamp adapter.

Comment

You may be looking for a FlexTank. Not sure the price makes since vs. DIY, we bought them long before I hired on, but they come with the ports/fittings you want already installed, no fuss, no muss, no leaks! The only thing we had to do was screw a 2" NPT to 2" TriClamp fitting into the lid, they come with little airlocks that are fine for conditioning, but they don't cut it when you wanna CIP or when an active fermentation is blowing off.

Comment

Thanks guys. The bulkhead fitting is what I was looking for.

The Flextank is pretty cool but I can't really justify the cost. Most of our beers are clean and ferment in stainless. I just need a blending tank to keep bugs out of our stainless and allow me to sleep at night. My sanity and a mixed fermentation blending vessel are worth a combined $500 to our brewery.

Comment

Working...
        X