Yeast Management for ~90 BBL tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast Management for ~90 BBL tanks

Looking to get some opinions on yeast management for a brewery expansion project we're working on. We currently operate a 7 BBL brewery, typically juggling between 2 and 4 strains. We handle yeast pretty primatively in the environment, corny kegs and the like, as the yeast is always in easily luggable volumes. Now we're in the process of planning out a packaging facility that'll utilize 90 BBL fermenters and we're getting into the MEP stages where we really need to start pinning down floorplan and resources for equipment.

We plan to open with 6 x 90 BBL fermenters, with a final capacity of 12 x 90 BBL fermenters (absolutely final -- no room for upward or outer expansion beyond that). One third of our initial tank capacity will be used to produce a 12 P lager, with the rest utilizing one ale strain. It's possible that those ratios will continue as we expand the tank quanity, or perhaps the second six will just be ale fermentations. Given that we will continue to operate this 7 BBL facility, this gives us a nice intermediary propagation stage for one offs in the larger brewery as well.

Working with these volume, I'm curious as to what folks would recommend for yeast handling and storage. We've seen a pretty wide range of recommendations so far, from agitated, jacketed brinks to modified 100L "kegs." We're not shy about investing in the right equipment for the job and certainly prefer to "work smarter not harder" whenever possible. Any thoughts?

Since no-one else has replied with any specific details - a few thoughts. With this size of kit, I would expect you to take off about 3.5 to 5% % as re-pitching yeast per FV - so about 3.2 - 4.5 brl, but obviously you have a better handle on cropping volumes. But separate tanks rather than kegs definitely.

Pitching yeast storage tanks - 50 % headspace

Working pressure up to 1 bar - air or CO2 / N2

Mixing by recirculation pump rather than agitator. I have used slow speed agitators for many years but the problem is sealing the gearbox properly, especially if the tank is pressurised. The agitators were used on unpressurised tanks, and we had quite a few leakages, albeit I think the leakage was always outside the vessel. So a suitable low shear pump is better. I have only used pumped recirc on waste yeast tanks, and we used double diaphragm pumps successfully, but you may do better with peristaltics or Monho pumps - probably peristaltic based on sized - each tank having a dedicated pumped recirculation. Recirculate continuously whilst cooling, but intermittently whilst storing once cooled.

Cooling target rate 1 deg C / hr (max 10 hours to cool from say 16 to 2 deg C) Normal temperature according to one spec I have is zero C !! but I have worked happily on max 3 deg C for many years.

And obviously if cooled - they need to be properly insulated.

All tanks should be interchangeable. If you want to acid wash the yeast, then suggest that each tank is sized for a single pitch, which does make them rather small, and adds a lot of complexity. If you are not acid washing, then sized to take a full crop of yeast off a single FV.

Use swingbend connections rather than hoses if routing is manual.

Full CIP with hot caustic based detergent, or cold caustic prewash followed by cold acid wash and PAA sanitisation.

Pitching pumps, peristaltic as better hygiene than diaphragm pumps - and don't forget the bypass unless the pump output can generate 2 metres / sec flow.
    Separate room ideally for yeast tanks and pitching system

Don't fit aeration to yeast tanks - it will allow the yeast to start working and actually weaken it - rely on wort aeration / oxygenation

Hope this helps

Cheers
    dick

Comment

Working...
    X