Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peroxyoctanoic acid

Hi there,

Does anyone have some feedback and experience using peroxyoctanoic acid for sanitising etc.

Cheers

If I remember correctly this was added to peracetic acid by the sanitiser supplier we used at the time - some time back in the late 90s I think. If it is the stuff I think it is, this was added as it worked differently to standard PAA, by lysing cells by reacting with the lipid layer of cell wall membranes, and was supposedly more reactive than simple PAA. I have a feeling it was meant to work better under cold conditions than pure PAA - so was supposedly better for use in cold rooms. Not sure that we really noticed a difference in performance though. I'm not sure who the supplier was either, but a quick google search reveals Ecolab use this stuff (or at least used to - presumably still do as they appear to sell test strips) and we certainly used Ecolab for a number of years. We only used to test for PAA, not for this. So, assuming my memory is correct, it didn't appear to make a huge difference - though of course other factors affect CIP / sanitisation so much that these other factors may simply have outweighed any benefits - certainly there were major changes made to some of the CIP sets later on, but that is another story.
    dick

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton View Post
      If I remember correctly this was added to peracetic acid by the sanitiser supplier we used at the time - some time back in the late 90s I think. If it is the stuff I think it is, this was added as it worked differently to standard PAA, by lysing cells by reacting with the lipid layer of cell wall membranes, and was supposedly more reactive than simple PAA. I have a feeling it was meant to work better under cold conditions than pure PAA - so was supposedly better for use in cold rooms. Not sure that we really noticed a difference in performance though. I'm not sure who the supplier was either, but a quick google search reveals Ecolab use this stuff (or at least used to - presumably still do as they appear to sell test strips) and we certainly used Ecolab for a number of years. We only used to test for PAA, not for this. So, assuming my memory is correct, it didn't appear to make a huge difference - though of course other factors affect CIP / sanitisation so much that these other factors may simply have outweighed any benefits - certainly there were major changes made to some of the CIP sets later on, but that is another story.
      Thank you Dick

Comment

Working...
      X