Loss Of Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss Of Power

So we had a serious storm up here in Coastal Maine and our brewery went without power for 24 hours. We had 2 small batches that were crashed and carbed hat went from 34 to 54 degrees and one large batch that was not carbed but was down to 33 and went back up to 50. I am wondering if becuase they came up in temperature slowly if they will be OK or not. Hoping we dont have to dump them...
    Luke Sevigney
    Theory Brewing Co.

Originally posted by Luke7e View Post
    So we had a serious storm up here in Coastal Maine and our brewery went without power for 24 hours. We had 2 small batches that were crashed and carbed hat went from 34 to 54 degrees and one large batch that was not carbed but was down to 33 and went back up to 50. I am wondering if becuase they came up in temperature slowly if they will be OK or not. Hoping we dont have to dump them...
    Luke Sevigney
    Theory Brewing Co.
    I cant imagine there will be an issue. My concern in a power outage would be a fermenting batch getting too warm during fermentation. It sounds like your beers never got all that warm. Chill them back down - and in the case of the carbed beers - check the carb levels again and you should be fine.

Comment

I would agree with the above. If your beers are already past peak fermentation is is unlikely you will see much of any changes. Especially if crashed. It might reduce some more diacetyl if you have any, but that would be a positive. Like he said, the carb can drop a little if you are spunding, but easily corrected. Yeast could use up some of its stored energy depending on the strain, but unlikely to be an issue.

FWIW power outages here are at least a daily occurrence. They usually last minutes, and oddly I haven’t had any 24 hour ones, but I have had fermentation control panel breaker trip on surges. Sometimes beers will warm up a handful of degrees if it happens overnight, but it’s only happened once during the primary with noticeable effects. Part of brewing in an under developed country.

Comment

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
        I would agree with the above. If your beers are already past peak fermentation is is unlikely you will see much of any changes. Especially if crashed. It might reduce some more diacetyl if you have any, but that would be a positive. Like he said, the carb can drop a little if you are spunding, but easily corrected. Yeast could use up some of its stored energy depending on the strain, but unlikely to be an issue.

FWIW power outages here are at least a daily occurrence. They usually last minutes, and oddly I haven’t had any 24 hour ones, but I have had fermentation control panel breaker trip on surges. Sometimes beers will warm up a handful of degrees if it happens overnight, but it’s only happened once during the primary with noticeable effects. Part of brewing in an under developed country.
        We just had the same problem when Hurricane Irma took out our power. We had crashed everything to 38 deg. They warmed to 60 over 2.5 days when we were able to crash them again. We had no ill effects from the beer warming back up and re-chilling it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
        Jon Sheldon
        Owner/Brewer/Chief Floor Mopper
        Bugnutty Brewing Company
        www.bugnutty.com

Comment

Working...
        X