Canning a Milk Stout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canning a Milk Stout

We have been brewing and canning our Milk Stout for about 5years now. We moved to flash pasteurizing it because we worried of residual lactose sugar being left and then if any yeast (wild or not) continuing to live once canned. Could cause some exploding cans or other problems.
    Anyone that is canning Milk Stouts of beers with residual sugars have any tips? I would love to move away from pasteurization.
    Cheers,
    BG

Make sure your beer's really at final gravity, and practice excellent sanitation. The lactose shouldn't make a difference one way or the other – your brewer's yeast can't eat it, and any contaminating organisms would happily chew away on the dextrines your brewer's yeast left behind if the lactose wasn't there. Lots of breweries don't pasteurize their packaged beers; the small guys that have to call the mobile canning truck certainly don't have that kind of fancy equipment, and even the large regional brewery I got my foot in the door at would just bottle/keg/can off their conditioning tanks. Hell, Sierra Nevada packages with live yeast on purpose, and they ship all over the country without cans exploding – believe in your sanitary technique and stop cooking your beer!

Comment

Working...
    X