RO water corrosion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RO water corrosion question

I’m in the process of installing an RO system for my problem of high sodium and sulfate concentrations in my muni water. I know that RO water is corrosive to metals other than SS, but we have a copper wort heat exchanger we would like to run our water through to collect in our HLT and an on demand natural gas water heater we would like the option to run it through.

My question is this: if I blend my RO water to 75% Ro and 25% muni water before running it through copper will It negate the effects of RO corrosion? Or will it just be 25% less corrosive?

My muni water report

Ca- 25 ppm
    Mg- 9 ppm
    Sodium- 110 ppm
    Bicarbonate- 90 ppm
    Carbonate- 3 ppm
    Sulfate SO4- 216 ppm
    Chloride- 19 ppm

The previous post in this section references exactly the answer you need. It is called the Langlier Saturation Index and refers to the calcium carbonate stability of water.

There are some calculators out there that can be used, but you would need to know your water temp, pH, and TDS in addition to the Calcium and bicarbonate contents. Also stated in the previous post, it is not a perfect solution as chloride or sulfate can change the corrosive effects.

Comment

Working...
    X