Brass manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass manifold

Any reason why brass fittings shouldn't be used in a DIY keg washer? Also, whats thw minimum diameter that should be used, 1/2" Maybe? I'm asking because I have a 3 valve manifold (3/8") that came out of a butchershop and was uses for cleaning and sanitizing. It's
    easily expandable to accomodate the compressed air and CO2.

Brass contains copper and therefore will react with Nitric and Peracetic acids (which usually contain Hydrogen Peroxide). It will also react with Sodium Hydroxide. I would suggest not using Brass on your keg washer.
    Last edited by UnFermentable; 11-13-2017, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks, that's exactly why I was asking.
      I figured the chemicals could extract something from the brass. It's also my understanding there's sometimes small amounts of lead in brass to make it more machineable. The lead is harmless if the brass surface is left undisturbed because it is protected by the oxidative layer on the surface. That being said, if the chemicals strip off that oxidative layer that exposes the lead.
      Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
      Brass contains copper and therefore will react with Nitric and Peracetic acids (which usually contain Hydrogen Peroxide). It will also react with Sodium Hydroxide. I would suggest not using Brass on your keg washer.

Comment

I had a couple, 3 port, polished 304 SS, Tri Clamp ends manifolds welded in china. Cost me $64 with shipping. Try Alibaba

Comment

Working...
        X