Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caustic Stain on outside of Kettle

Hi All,

We are seeing some white residue/stains from caustic on the outside of our kettle. During CIP there is a drip from the stack onto the outside of the kettle. We have tried to rinse after the caustic cycle with no luck. We have tried to spray with a foaming acid with no luck. We have tried to scrub with the white pad from 3M (which is safe for stainless) with no luck. Tried CLR spray with no luck... Anyone else experienced this and was able to clean it?

Cheers
    Chris

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171114_175326.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	195322
    Founder, Head Brewer
    Pikes Peak Brewing Co.
    Monument, CO

We get similar staining on our MLT when we run a CIP cycle with caustic. For us, it seeps out where the shaft for the mash rakes enters the top dome of the vessel and subsequently runs down the side of the tank. We have had success using Birko's Shine-A-Line dosed with a little dawn dish soap through a foam gun at 2 - 4oz per gallon. I know you mentioned you have used a foaming acid to try and tackle this staining, but for us we really didn't make much headway until we really increased the dosage of the acid and applied it a few times, with scrubbing. The dawn dish soap really makes the acid foam hang on the vertical surfaces quite a bit longer. Now we just make sure to keep up on foaming the vessels and try to spray down and wipe down the tanks before the caustic can dry up.

Cheers & Good Luck!

-Tom

Comment

I've had similar staining on my kettle, it's a bear to get off. I would suggest to avoid getting more once you get it cleaned up to pull out that slide gate and blank off the port during CIP.

Comment

Working...
      X