Brite tank repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brite tank repair

Picked up a used tank a few weeks ago. 15bbl single wall.

There was a pour spout attached for sampling. And somehow I broke it off. Now have a 1/4 inch hole in my tank.

Are there any noon weld options to plug or ideally add another sampling spout?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Maybe you can consider to weld a 1.5"TC port to cover this hole
    if you don't need this port,you can use a 1.5"TC cap to seal it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Gavin

Please E-mail me at any time

We Specialize In Designing And Fabricating High Quality Tanks/Equipments For The Brewing Industry!

Email:
    sungoodmachinery@vip.163.com
    gavin@sungoodmachinery.com

www.sungoodmachinery.com(Updating)
    Great Quality,Affordable Prices,24hours After-sales Service!
    The Brand You Know,The People You Trust,The Quality You love!

Comment

You could use a stainless bulkhead fitting. Basically the same as a tap shank. Threaded pipe and two spud nuts with seals on them.

I wouldn't recommend it though, as the threads will have a potential to harbor contaminants. Have a stainless welder come and tig it. It should be a relatively easy job, and you might be able to pay with beer. Make sure he offers to back the work after pressure testing, which I would suggest you do with a full tank of water as opposed to gas. Make sure he runs a flap disc of a fine grade, 150 grit or finer, and be sure to re-passivate the tank after the work. You will be thankful you met a good welder in the future, and you wont have to worry about contaminants hiding in the repairs.

Comment

Definitely use water to fill the tank prior to pressurisation testing - otherwise you have a bomb in the brewery. The insurance guys will never use gas pressurisation for testing - far too dangerous. Welding is the only realistic, long term option.
        dick

Comment

Got it, thank you.

I do need to find a welder but will prob get a bulkhead fitting until i find one.

I'm not going to be filling for a few months and need to spend time working on my process and learning how to correctly use the tank. Im lucky to have a bunck of local breweries so should be able to find one. I also dont want a hole for bugs to crawl in until then.

Comment

If you are not going to fill for a few months, then I would just stick a piece of duct tape over it for now and save the money to get the proper welding done. A good stainless bulkhead fitting (I would suggest Swagelok) is not super cheap (although not too bad either). It will also be suspect at leaking under pressure. HLT I would say no worries, but BBT no way. If you have other local breweries around, I am sure that at least one can suggest a good welder to come in and do the work. You are going to have to run a proper CIP and passivation on the tank before filling anyways, so there is really no benefit to the the temporary bulkhead. Extra cost, and extra work. Just my $0.02

And definitely use water to pressure test, its an issue of safety.

To Sungood's point, you may consider having the welder put on a 1.5" TC ferrule in place of the broken port. Then you can attach a zwickle, carbstone, cap or temp probe in the future.

Comment

Working...
            X