Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delay in boiling post collection

Hey !
    So this is happening as the brew is going on. Brewing a hefeweizen. I collected most of the wort in the boiling kettle. At this point the temperature of the wort is around 68c(158F). The boiler conked! So we are now fixing it and its been over 3 hours at that temperature. We should get it up and running in an hour or so which adds up to 4 hours in the boil kettle at 67-68C. After the boiler is fixed i plan on continuing the boil for an hour. My question is, will the beer turn out as it should be or should I be worried ?
    Cheers !

You will probably be OK, though the beer may be a bit thin due to ongoing enzyme action in the kettle, and you may have built up infection, but I suspect not that much in say 4 hours.

If it were me, I would be tasting it once you have the heating repaired and check it for taste. If it tastes normal, then definitely go ahead as normal. If you don't really know what it tastes like normally, then simply go ahead and see how it turns out.

Assuming you carry on, then I would simply keep a very close eye (or should that be tastebud?) on it particularly at the end of fermentation, and just in case of odd flavours, don't re-use the yeast. If you boil OK, there should not be any flavour changes due to new micro activity once boiled.
    dick

Comment

Boil

Should be fine. I agree with Dick that enzymatic activity will likely continue but on the flip side I have had 4 hour run off when using high rates of unmodified malts with no other adverse issues. Another to degrees Celsius and you may run into elevated dms issues due to the breakdown of smm at those temps. Assuming you get back up and running with a vigorus boil you should be fine.

Comment

Vigorous boil

Thanks guys !
        yeah. so I tasted the wort. seemed fine.
        So I went ahead and boiled it. And transferred the beer for fermentation. Will check it out as soon as I get to the brewery!
        Keep you guys posted.
        Cheers !

Comment

I agree with the above posted comments.

As an alternative, I would have likely used the excuse/opportunity to pitch a lacto plantarum into the kettled wort, let it sit a day or two, and switched to a Berliner weisse. But I'm a fan of a good Berliner weisse and can usually afford one to two days if absolutely needed.

Comment

Working...
          X