TPO from non-counterpressure canning lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TPO from non-counterpressure canning lines

In looking at some of the smaller format linear canning lines from CASK, Wild Goose, ABE, etc. I am wondering how valid some of their TPO claims are (15-20ppb).
    Does anyone have some unbiased numbers to share from using one of these lines? Did it take any special modification to achieve low numbers? I also wonder about special add-ons like liquid nitrogen dosing, do they yield a significant improvement in TPO?

Thanks for any information.

Hi Anomalous,

Someone might correct me if Im wrong, but those values 15-20ppb is more likely the ogygen picked up in an unshaken can, meaning what was picked up during the filling process. You will still pick up oxygen in the headspace. If you take a shaken can value and use a TPO calculator it will be allot higher than 15-20ppb.

We typically see an unshaken can value of 28-35ppb (BBT at 13ppb) and a shaken value of 45-55ppb. We just cant seem to get it lower than this.

It would be good to hear what other in-line canners are getting.

Cheers

Comment

I have experiences with different types Cask canning lines and I see the same results as Gbbc.

A good running canning line should give you the next results:

- unshaken can value of 27-35ppb
      - shaken can value of 45-55ppb

Cheers,

Marc

Comment

Saw very similar results on three different Wild Goose lines, although I was the operator on all three. High of around 65ppb on shaken cans of dry hopped beers. Usually around 50ppb overall average. How you set the filling, purge times, and DO prior to packaging play a huge role. Also on these machines you have to be diligent and watch filling throughout the process.

I never used an under lid co2 gasser, although some would swear by it. Goose will tell you they have seen mixed data on it. Waste of gas IMHO. Like the machines a lot personally. Absolutely hate that the Casks use rubber bands for the lid dropper setup on some of their machines. Machine worked well, but rubber bands caused a lot of issues with lid dropping for me.

Comment

Good to know we are in the ballpark with our DO pickup. Yes Unfermentable, those rubber bands on a Cask unit is unbelievably silly. One day OK, the next day not. We have a 400K machine that uses rubber band to dispense lids!

Comment

Working...
          X