Midco Burner Wiring Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midco Burner Wiring Question

Probably a dumb question but....we have two Midco EC-200 burners for our 3BBL system. Our control panel has a 24v control out for the burners...it sends a 24 control signal when the burner fires and again when it turns off, similar to what's used to open and close a solenoid. Does anyone know if this hooks into the thermostat wires for the burner? Is there something in between we need? Anyone using these burner care to share their configuration?

Thanks!

Hello. The EC-200 burner is solely controlled by on/off supply of line power. The EC-200 is standard shipped from Midco's factory configured for 120VAC/60Hz power supply. The internal transformer can be switched to 208 or 240VAC. The blower motor will also need to be re-wired for services greater than 120VAC. Very simple but devastating if not done.

It sounds like you have a temperature controller that is putting out 24 volts. Not sure if this is AC or DC? You may have specified but I missed it. What you will need to do is install a contactor with a 24V DC or AC coil (This must match the current type coming from the controller). The temperature controller switching the 24 volts will engage the contactor which will then send 120VAC to the burner. L1 must be your line power and L2 is the neutral (if wiring with 120VAC).

The EC-200 has an integrated controller that when powered up, first activates the blower fan that then closes a vacuum switch. This switch will then allow the gas purge cycle to start. This is typically 60-90 seconds long. Once the gas purge cycle has gone through its process, a spark will occur and the burner will ignite. All in all, it is a very simple burner. The only thing you need to provide is the 120VAC power.

I hope this helps. I do have a wiring schematic I can email you if needed.

Comment

awesome....exactly what I needed thanks!

Comment

ec-300

Hey guys, i've got an EC-300 which I believe is basically identical to the 200. I do have a thermostat input which I control with a 24v relay within my PID controller. Basically pwr and gas is always on and when the PID calls for heat, 24v is sent to the midco and it kicks on.

mtn

Comment

Thanks mtnmann.....I thought that might be the case....I know out panel will send a 24v control signal when calling for heat....I will try and hunt down what I need to wire it in...thanks!

Comment

My 300 came with a built in 24v transformer which was wired to the thermostat input on the burner, thus giving it 24v when main power was applied to the unit. I teed off the 24v hot into my PID's relay. Relay open:no voltage, relay closed:24v. Easy temp control on the kettle (once latent firebox heat is taken into account).

mtn

Comment

If it hasn't been mentioned, be sure when you're setting this up to have a pro set the air/fuel mix. They have tools that they can dial it in with, and if you're off, you can fill a room with carbon monoxide. CO poisoning is no fun. Is happened to me. Also, if tpa_brewer is Rodney, congrats homie.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
              Cheers!
              Tim Ogden

Comment

.not Rodney.... but thanks for the heads up! gas company is coming out once we have power all set.

Originally posted by Alt Brewer View Post
                If it hasn't been mentioned, be sure when you're setting this up to have a pro set the air/fuel mix. They have tools that they can dial it in with, and if you're off, you can fill a room with carbon monoxide. CO poisoning is no fun. Is happened to me. Also, if tpa_brewer is Rodney, congrats homie.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

just to wrap this thread up...adding a relay between the panel and burner solved our problem....we are all up and running...thanks for the help/info!

Comment

Working...
                  X