Cask gravity dispense tap clogged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cask gravity dispense tap clogged?

I have vented my first pin for dispense and even after letting it sit on stillage for a few hours, when I open the tap, I get a quick burst of CO2, a tiny bit of beer, and then it slows to a dribble. Immediately after I vented/tapped it, it seemed to pour ok . I have tried this with a cask ventilator, soft spile and hard spile in the shive and it still happens. I did dry hop an oz of pellets in a small muslin bag, and I am wondering if the bag is draping around the end of the tap and causing reduced flow? Or is it just lees that clogged it? Anyone experience this?

Thanks,
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

Originally posted by barleyfreak View Post
    I have vented my first pin for dispense and even after letting it sit on stillage for a few hours, when I open the tap, I get a quick burst of CO2, a tiny bit of beer, and then it slows to a dribble. Immediately after I vented/tapped it, it seemed to pour ok . I have tried this with a cask ventilator, soft spile and hard spile in the shive and it still happens. I did dry hop an oz of pellets in a small muslin bag, and I am wondering if the bag is draping around the end of the tap and causing reduced flow? Or is it just lees that clogged it? Anyone experience this?

Thanks,
    It is likely it is the bag covering the end of the tap as you suspect. I have experienced this before as well. The last few times I dry hopped I used a TC ferrule in the bag to weight it down so it wouldn't move towards the tap as easily, and it seemed to work well. I did not however use isinglass, biofine, ect as it is not very traditional if you ask me. They should drop to the bottom and flocculate hard though, and generally should not move up to clog the tap unless the cask was disturbed excessively.

Comment

Originally posted by barleyfreak View Post

Thanks,
      I have used 3 oz of pellet hops directly in the pin without any clogging issues. No hop bag. With and without isinglass. Personally I wouldn’t worry about the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X