cost of kegging for a new brewery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cost of kegging for a new brewery

been doing research online and so far for kegs the most common cost per keg when buying a pallet or more has been around $120-$133 each. This seems rather high. What are some companies that offer discounts for buying a lot of kegs? For example if a 10-bbl brewery intends to start with 600 barrels a year I would need 1240 1/2-bbl kegs?

Or alternatively are the companies that offer kegging services where I could rent kegs and when the bar is finished with the keg it would be sent back to the keg company to be cleaned and stored that way I also don't have to store or clean empty kegs when not in use?

I personally buy from Gopher Kegs. They are about $90 ish a piece for half barrels and I think they have volume discounts as well. I’ll be honest I mostly buy from them because their warehouse is a 20 minute drive and I don’t have to pay shipping. That being said I have had nothing but positive experiences with their products and customer service. They do advertise here in the classifieds section.

Comment

American Keg

American Keg is local to philly, not sure if that is where you got the quote. Their imported kegs were a decent price last I ordered and you could just pickup. Also can ask if they have factory 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by RipRap View Post
        I personally buy from Gopher Kegs. They are about $90 ish a piece for half barrels and I think they have volume discounts as well. I’ll be honest I mostly buy from them because their warehouse is a 20 minute drive and I don’t have to pay shipping. That being said I have had nothing but positive experiences with their products and customer service. They do advertise here in the classifieds section.
        I've purchased kegs from Gopher numerous times and have had an amazing experience from my first order. The service is above and beyond and the quality of the kegs (they use Micromatic spears) has been exceptional. Shoot Chris Hudson an email at chris@gopherkegs.com. He'll send you their current pricing structure, which will also include container load deals.

Cheers,
        --
        Don
        Idyllwild Brewpub

Comment

depending on your sales model, you do not need 1 keg for every bbl of beer you produce. Rather, its more by # of accounts, between 2 and 5 kegs per handle is what would be needed. This depends on how your distribution works, if you use a distributor, you need more, if self distributed you need less. Another option, a good one for startups is to lease kegs. Keg Logistics has been good to us, and you get very good kegs from Franke with them. Kegs don't just get filled once per year, they should be getting filled 10 times at least.

Comment

You definitely don't need 2 kegs for every bbl produced. Maybe 1/4 that amount if you're kegging everything. We're currently producing ~1,000bbls/yr and while some goes into cans, the rest is kegged (for on-site sales as well). We have ~250 kegs on hand, and that's enough to package what we produce. We use keg logisitics as they allow the leasing and have very high quality products.
            Peter Landman | Brewmaster | Seabright Brewery | Santa Cruz, CA

Comment

If you buy your own dont forget to factor in lost and stolen kegs, figures seem to suggest 1-3%. It really adds up. Also another factor especially if you use a distributor is the waiting time on getting kegs back. I have seen keg returns at our place take anywhere from 2-6 months and some even a year so this will mean that unless you have enough you will run out of kegs while they flow thru the distribution process. These costs really add up quickly
              Mike Eme
              Brewmaster

Comment

I bought mine from Ambrach. This was early this year and they were $89/half bbl keg and quality was very good. A big money saver can be locating a manufacturer that has a warehouse within driving distance. You can save a load of money on freight if you have a pickup or can rent a small moving truck.

Comment

Working...
                X