barrle aged beer & Cartridge Filtration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barrle aged beer & Cartridge Filtration

has anyone tried to push beer from an oak barrel through a cartridge filter? I have a Bulldog racking arm that uses CO2 to push the beer out of the barrel. I would like to clean up one of my beers that the yeast has not settled out in after months of aging....

How much pressure is required to push the beer through a 30" catridge filter with a .65 or 1 micron filter?

any help or suggestions would be appreciated

thanks,

Scott
    Cheers,

Scott Vaccaro
    Captain Lawrence Brewing CO
    Elmsford, NY
    www.CaptainLawrenceBrewing.com

If yeast is your problem, you may want to pre-filter it before you try to use a cartridge filter. If not, you'll blind your filter really quickly and may end up ruining the media. The cartridge filter you're talking about should really only be used to remove bacteria, not yeast.

Comment

how about trying a 5 micron filter, would that do the trick?
      Cheers,

Scott Vaccaro
      Captain Lawrence Brewing CO
      Elmsford, NY
      www.CaptainLawrenceBrewing.com

Comment

I guess that could work, unless you're talking about removing yeast that you could still "see" suspended in the beer. To remove yeast, we used to use sheet filters (AF-30) or use a D.E. filter, depending on the location. When we used the D.E. filter, we used to also use sterile sheet filters downstream (AF-110) to make sure that we were removing as much as possible. Even with this much surface area (way more than what a cartridge filter would provide) we would blind the filters if the beer wasn't properly crashed and we hadn't dropped as much yeast & trub out as possible before starting. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd stay away from the cartridge filter as much as possible if I didn't have very cold, clear beer to start with, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
        X