harvesting yeast/low krausen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harvesting yeast/low krausen

Once I get to generation 4-5x, the high krausen seems to be quite less than the original pitches. Any reason this may be?
    The yeast strains I use with normally big krausen are wy3944 and wy1318(first few generations also take a while to drop with 1318).
    I use 3711 but the krausen is never large. but the 3711 post generation 3-4 is almost non-existent.
    I am not really complaining as the profile doesn't seem to change but I am curious what the reason may be.

Thanks

Consider adding yeast food - the most common deficiency is Zinc - typically added at 0.15 to 0.25 ppm zinc as zinc sulphate or zinc chloride, normally directly to the FV at collection, as adding it to the kettle or WP causes a lot to be adsorbed/absorbed by the trub.

Less likely is also a deficiency in copper when using stainless plant - a block of copper in the wort kettle or whirlpool usually rectifies this problem. There is a very recent post about zinc addition rates which may help, and I am sure .

Also consider if the wort oxygenation / aeration is slightly deficient. Plenty of threads on wort oxygenation / aeration levels / addition methods.
    dick

Comment

Working...
    X