Complementary Products in Brewpubs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complementary Products in Brewpubs?

I'm not sure if Complementary was the right word...? but, it'll do.

A recent trip over the pond - I noticed that Micro-Distilling is happening, and to some extent Micro-Roastery...

Other than those two, what else is happening...?

Can a Micro-Roastery exist is the same unit as a Brewery? Surely the smells would be incompatable?

Smokery?
    Cheese? Health reg nightmare!?
    Bakery?
    Founder of London Brewers' Alliance | European Craft Sales Manager for SimplyHops.com | BrewWharf 2009/11 | Writes CAMRA's Homebrew Column | Opened Breakwater Brew Co | Get me @phillowry

I just went to a brewpub, with a butchery!

Id like to try my hand at cheese, the owner of the brewery where I work makes cheese now and then..
    www.Lervig.no

Comment

I think one of the guys at Stone Brewery makes his own cheese. They had a booth offering their own beer cheese at a couple of their anniversary parties.
      Steve G

Comment

make yourself unique

I have always said, do something that makes you unique, something that seperates you from the others (your USP). Sure, as a brewpub you are making your own beers and that is surely your main USP. Your reference to "complementary" products is exactly what one should do, in my opinion. Here a few spontaneous ideas:

-find a local butcher to make you YOUR style of hot dogs or honey-baked ham.
        -special HOMEMADE bbq sauces
        -your own mustard
        -special breads in conjunction with a local bakery
        -and of course the idea with your own spirits: you can easily make your own stuff without expensive equipment by simply (for example) putting (your special recipe) of pineapple, vanilla & (home-grown) chilis together with vodka. Voila, YOUR specialty.

I don't think that these ideas require a lot of investment, but rather a little creativeness & time. Best of luck to you!

Comment

Mmmm. Pork Fat

How about a house sausage, made from local grown pasteured pork? You could also do salami or other charcuterie made in house.
          Travis Miller
          Brattleboro, VT
          On brewing hiatus as a SAHD

Comment

Bionade

Anyone have experience with this stuff?
            There's no quenching German thirst for the organic lemonade in a Bionade bottle. The factory can't meet demand and has sent Coca Cola packing. Cornelius and Fabian Lange describe the rise of the Bionade empire out of the ashes of the failing Peter brewery in what was once a failing region in Germany - soon to be home to the Bionade valley.

Comment

Bionade

Yes, I know their products well. They are very popular and good tasting beverages. Their prices are ok (around EURO 8-9 for a 24er returnable crate w/o deposit).

I personally believe that the main reason for their sudden success is the fact that Rhoensprudel bought (I think) 51% of the brewery. Kowalsky Jr. has not a lot of say in his brewery, and the growth is due to the distribution that Rhoen had going for them. Now Rhoen bought Spree Quelle in Berlin and they cover all of the ex-GDR and almost the rest of the Republik.

Another reason for their success is surely due to the "öko" or organical wave here in Germany. Regular soft drinks are still taking a hit.
              Hope this helps.

Regards

D.

Comment

Working...
              X