Help with Tri-Clamp Racking Arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Tri-Clamp Racking Arms

Never knew there was such a thing as tri-clamp racking arms until we got the tanks for our production facility, guess I've been spoiled all along with threaded ones. I've tried many methods over the months, but still am getting small leaks which get nasty real quick. The tanks originally came with regular silicone gaskets, which sealed good but were impossible to rotate the arm. I switched to teflon gaskets, which are able to turn smoothly when the tank is filled, but I keep getting small leaks after rotating the arm for transfers or fining. I assume someone must have a better idea for a type of gasket I can use so I don't have to see any more fruit flies on my racking arms.

Try white Buna gaskets. We have tri-clamp racking arms in our BTs, and don't have any leakage problems at all. The white gaskets make inspection much easier than regular black ones.

We've had very poor luck using PTFE and silicone TC gaskets. They either don't last (Si) or are too stiff (PTFE) to get a good seal without using a wrench to tighten the clamp, resulting in bent bolts on the clamps.
    Last edited by TGTimm; 12-14-2017, 10:44 AM.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Get some envelope gaskets. They are teflon on the outside and EPDM/BUNA/Viton on the inside. You get the smooth turning of teflon and the squishability and better sealing of the softer materials. I got mine from brewerygaskets.com.

Comment

Bump on the BUNA. I have tri-clamp racking arms too and found the same issue with teflon. I use BUNA and EPDM to rotate. Silicone will bunch up and isnt really good for rotation on anything. Also, a small amount of petro gel lube before sani-recirc makes things nice and easy.

Comment

Lube

we use a food grade CIP lube on the gaskets that spin between the racking arm and the tank. We use BUNA gaskets too. The lube is just what the doctor ordered.

Also, they make a BUNA gasket with a different profile that has a lip on it that is designed for this exact application. It lets the arm rotate with a little more of a guide so it won't slip off. I bought a few, but my standard gaskets work just fine.

good luck!
          Scott Swygert
          Founder - Honky Tonk Brewing Co.

Comment

Use a proper swivel joint clamp assembly

You should use a swivel joint clamp assembly. It is an extra wide clamp with a teflon collar and then a envelope type gasket. These work great and the racking arm will swing even when tight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A12MPS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	191605

Sorry, they are not on our website yet but we do have them in stock.
            Last edited by CPESystems; 01-05-2018, 02:07 PM. Reason: fix'n me spellin
            Your CPE Systems Team!
            CPE Systems Inc.
            800-668-2268
            CPEsystems.com
            Thinkpumps.com
            sales@cpesystems.com

Comment

Originally posted by CPESystems View Post
              You should use a swivel joint clamp assembly. It is an extra wide clamp with a teflon collar and then a envelope type gasket. These work great and the racking arm will swing even when tight.

[ATTACH]56449[/ATTACH]

Sorry, they are not on our website yet but we do have them in stock.
              Tried emailing the email in your signature but got returned...could you let me know cost on one of those to try out? derek at foursonsbrewing.com

Comment

Swivel joint clamp for racking arms

We now have our swivel joint clamps available online.

The A12MPS swivel joint clamp assembly is an A3 certified clamp for CIP and wash-down applications. This assembly includes a clamp, collar, and gasket.
                Your CPE Systems Team!
                CPE Systems Inc.
                800-668-2268
                CPEsystems.com
                Thinkpumps.com
                sales@cpesystems.com

Comment

Working...
                X