Thread: Grain Milling and Oxidation

Grain Milling and Oxidation

Anyone have references or direct experience with grain oxidation or staling because of milling ahead of the brew day?

I would imagine that milling 24-48hrs ahead of time has little to no effect on the grains. Especially, since maltsters are selling pre-milled bags to brewers and those aren't air tight seals.

Thoughts or links to references would be appreciated.

I would ask your grain supplier I would think they would be the experts on that. I do know grain is very susceptible to absorbing odors from there environment so its important to keep them in a odor free area
    Mike Eme
    Brewmaster
    Cheboygan Brewery
    Cheboygan Michigan

I wouldn't worry about milling the night before. Milling a few days in advance might be different - but some of that variation will be dependent on moisture and temperature. As already noted, the milled grain in particular must be kept in a dry and odour free environment. Here in the comparatively chilly UK, we used to mill quite happily on a Friday evening for mashing in Sunday night or Monday morning - ales and lagers, without any obvious flavour or stability problems.
    dick