DE in the boil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DE in the boil?

Just was reading an article on wort boiling, and among a list of kettle finings was diatamaceous earth, which apparantly provides nucleation points for the proteins, etc. to coagulate around, improving hot break flocculation. It suggests adding at a rate of 200 ppm, or about 5#/bbl.

I've also heard of adding it as a fining in the conditioning tank.

Anyone used it as a fining?

1#/100bbls=40ppm

5#/100bbls =200ppm

Comment

Right, that's what I meant. Lest anyone dump that amount of DE into a batch!

Comment

I'm trying to remember. A number of people used to use hot wort KG filtration. It fell out of favour because some of the KG used to dissolve. I think it gave head retention problems

I think it has now been dropped because of that, apart from the manual handling problems and waste disposal problems associated with KG. Can't say I've ever heard of it being used as a stabiliser like this. Where allowed, people tend to use copper finings, and a decent whirlpool normally. There has been a fair bit of discussion about this, including a minor spat between myself & Crassbrauer, but here you go

Crassbrauer - I reckon you're the most like to be in touch with this technique - any thoughts ?
        dick

Comment

The main concern with using DE in brewing is the soluble iron content.

Using DE to filter hot wort may be (have been) a common practice in Germany, as elimination of hot (and cold) break prior to fermentation is a much greater concern in Germany than in the rest of the world. Although I've never heard of hot wort filtration with DE, usually it's clarification via centrifuge and/or flotation tank.

All brewers using DE in any stage of their process should inquire as to the BSI (beer soluble iron) content of the DE.

---Guy

Comment

Working...
          X